Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Lowering CPC on Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've just joined the community and a newbie on AdWords. Anyone could give me advice or best practice for lowering CPC on display network campaign?

Thank you.. Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Della E
January 2016

Re: Lowering CPC on Display Network

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Della E, welcome to the Community.

How are you currently targeting your Ads?  Are you managed placements or automatic?  In either case, the simplest way to reduce CPCs is to reduce the Max CPC you specify for the Ad Group.  Unlike Search Ads, where Max CPC is a major factor in determining the position of an Ad, in the Display Network Max CPC tends to more affect which sites your Ads show upon.  By simply reducing your Max CPC you may find your Ad gets shown just as often, but on different sites (or on the same sites with less frequency, and/or at different times of day).

If you want to preserve your current CPC (because you're getting good results from some sites) you may be able to reduce your average CPC by excluding some sites that don't perform well (high CPC costs few/zero conversions).  You should also check your demographics to see if bid adjustments for gender or age could provide better spending, and look at your geographical targeting for the same reasons.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Della E
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Della E, welcome to the Community.

How are you currently targeting your Ads?  Are you managed placements or automatic?  In either case, the simplest way to reduce CPCs is to reduce the Max CPC you specify for the Ad Group.  Unlike Search Ads, where Max CPC is a major factor in determining the position of an Ad, in the Display Network Max CPC tends to more affect which sites your Ads show upon.  By simply reducing your Max CPC you may find your Ad gets shown just as often, but on different sites (or on the same sites with less frequency, and/or at different times of day).

If you want to preserve your current CPC (because you're getting good results from some sites) you may be able to reduce your average CPC by excluding some sites that don't perform well (high CPC costs few/zero conversions).  You should also check your demographics to see if bid adjustments for gender or age could provide better spending, and look at your geographical targeting for the same reasons.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the advice, @Jon_Gritton.

Currently i'm using interest, keyword, topic, and placement targeting in different ad groups. I am pairing 2 targeting in different campaign, i put interest & keyword in 1 campaign and the other targeting in another campaign. So, in one campaign the placement is automatic and another one is managed. Does that also affect the avg. CPC or not?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Della E, it's really difficult to tell how the CPCs might be affected because every Account is different.  However, it's entirely possible you'll see different CPCs if you're targeting in different ways.

It's a good idea to have a managed Campaign and an automatic Campaign - I've done this many times.  The managed Campaign should ideally use placements that have proven good performance while the automatic Campaign can be used to discover new opportunities, which can then be placed in the Managed Campaign.

One word of caution, while splitting your targeting in this way can be useful, if you split too much it can become confusing.  You may want to balance the advantages of splitting against the ease of use of having all these targets in the same Campaign and simply using bid adjustments.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, @Jon_Gritton,

Thanks for the tips, it really helps!

i'm going to implement the tips to my campaign. Hope it makes my campaign performance better and have lower cost also. Smiley Happy