3.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Lowered budget and lost impressions/clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I lowered my budget in one campaign while keep everything else constant and over a month's time noticed a significant loss of impressions along with clicks. Is there a direct correlation between the two? Can I expect to gain the impressions/clickd back if I re-instate the budget amount I once had? Can I also conclude that if I increase my budget above that amount ( the previous higher amount) that I will gain impression share and hence clicks?

Thanks in advance to all that reply!

Re: Lowered budget and lost impressions/clicks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Kevin O,

There are a few things needed in order to answer your question properly.

Firstly is this impression and click decrease only in the camapaign in which the budget was limited?

in that case the answer would be a simple yes the 2 are correlated. If you lower budget you will receive less clicks and impressions.

If the drop is account wide, in that all or most of your campaigns have lost clicks/imp then its gets a bit more complicated.

For example if the campaign that you lowered budget in was a display campaign you might find that it effects your other search campaigns. The main reason for this would be that you have lost brand awareness, in that people see your brand less out there and therefore are less familiar with it.

If it was a search campaign that you lowered and the drop was account wide it may be a case of assisted conversion loss and impression share. In this case what you will find is that people who have been searching for the terms you had in the lowered campaign were leading people to search more about your services and brand but as they are not seeing you when they search for the terms in your lower campaign this is no longer happening.

These are a few options

Hope this helps

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, of course decreasing the budget will decrease your chances to enter many auctions as a result will decrease your impression and clicks.

Can I expect to gain the impressions/clickd back if I re-instate the budget amount I once had?
As you haven't changed any other things Yes, probably it should be back to normal.

Can I also conclude that if I increase my budget above that amount ( the previous higher amount) that I will gain impression share and hence clicks?

If your impression share is at 100% (it means your ads show at all times and you don’t miss an eligible impression) it won't make any difference, If it's at 60% and it's lost impression share due to budget not rank, then yes increase my budget above that amount ( the previous higher amount) that you will gain impression share and hence clicks. Read more on impression share here: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2472710&from=52760&rd=1

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In theory it makes sense to me however neither of the budget amounts were maximized so I found it strange to loose impressions at that point. Thank you for the reply and link on impression share.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In theory it makes sense to me however neither of the budget amounts were maximized so I found it strange to loose impressions at that point. Thank you for the confirmation and reply, much appreciated.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kevin O
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Kevin,

Lowering your budget will result in your ad's not been shown through out the day, due to which you can lose your impression and clicks. so if you increase your budget, you will see increase in impressions as well as clicks.