3.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Low traffic keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello to all. Hope all is well. I have a question. I'm a web designer. I'm learning a lot from Google Adwords. My objective is to promote my web and graphic design and computer services. At first I put all my eggs in one basket when I created just one ad group. I then made 3 ad groups. One for web design, graphic design and computer services. I added a lot of keywords for each group. I know right now I have 349 keywords all together. Is it good to have a lot of keywords or less as far as my service? Also I have 51 good quality but low traffic keywords now. It's only been about a week since I started my campaign. I'm wondering if that's why. I hear that having a lot of these type keywords can lower your score. Also should I delete common keywords for my services like website design. I ask that because I have 175 impressions and 1 click for that keyword. Also I know the ad groups can be done more granular like a Mother's Day theme. For now I just want to promote my services in general. I gladly appreciate your comments. Smiley Wink  

Re: Low traffic keywords

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

HI James C

Welcome to the AdWords community :-)

You cant really make a good judgement on your campaign performance after one week, however I personally think that you are using a lot of keywords! You need to make sure that the keywords in each of your ad groups are relevant to your ad text for that ad group and also your landing page. Relevancy is the key factor here, AdWords isn't really about who can give the highest bid. You need to focus on getting good quality scores for a smaller group of keywords (5 - 20 per ad group is the recommended amount) rather than a large list which can be rather difficult to manage. I would like to share some pages with you about ad rank and quality score as I think you will find them useful-

Understanding ad position and ad rank

Check and understand quality score

I'm also including some articles that I think you will find useful with regard to keyword lists and ad group advice, I'm also including a page about using the search terms report, it can be a good way to discover negative keywords to add and how to apply match types to your keywords etc.  -

How to build the best keyword list

Add negative keywords to your campaign

How ad groups work

Understanding the search terms report

I think this will be a good starting point for you to improve your campaign performance.

Kind regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much for the info. I'll put them to good use. Yes I know. Expecting to early. The keywords are relevant to each ad group. What I did was choose most of the keywords I wanted to add. from the list on the right. I know I'm new. I still feel like I'll miss out if I don't add enough. My services is pretty broad and there are many phrases and words for my service. What I'll probably do is start deleting keywords that has been low traffic since I started the ads. I'm just wondering though how many impressions and clicks you should have for low traffic keywords and how long I should wait. I have a lot to learn. I love this stuff. Thank you for your comments

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi James...like you I am also pretty new to AdWords...just about 2 months into it. In my beginner's enthusiasm I used to have 8000 keywords, but that's really wasting your resources. By default, we all use "broad" setting when we add keywords. So if I add Google AdWords, it covers a pretty broad spectrum. For example, if someone types AdWords Certification, chances are your ad will be served if you have mentioned either Google or AdWords in your Ad headline, text or URL. Therefore you DO NOT need many keywords. As your campaign grows, note which keywords have the best impressions & CTR. Try & use them in broad modified or phrase form. They are much more relevant. The links have been given to you in the post above. Hope it helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much. I will look into that with the keywords. I sure have a lot now. I see what you are saying though. It makes sense. Let's say for example. If I add keyword "professional web design", do I need to add also say "affordable web design"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Never mind. I found my answer sort of. Is it safe to just have general words like website, web design and graphic design? I don't need to anything like cheap graphic design or web site?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi James...if you use a single keyword...let's say website...your ad is liable to be shown everywhere where 'website" is mentioned. The answer is experiment. Keep your bid very low here. Even with a very low bid, for a keyword like this...you will get a lot of impressions...Now create an ad using website in the headline...you will get a lot of impressions & a lot of clicks. But remember, this keyword is low on relevance, but since your bid is very low, you might get some useful clicks this way. Then create a similar strategy for two word keywords...choose a mix of keywords...start by bidding low & gradually move your bid up for keywords that are giving you a good CTR. Ditto for three word keywords. The fact is that there is no golden rule on AdWords. So each day, look at your results, delete the non performing ones...add the ones you think will perform.

That's been my strategy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Vineet. You are such a big help. I ended up deleting all my keywords leaving only 12 good ones. Two of my ads though only have 1-2 keywords. I'm seeing now that my web design is my biggest ad. I'll keep monitoring these and see how it goes. I wonder if it was is 2 early to delete keywords. It's been about a week now. I'll also up the bid a little on the keywords I have left. Smiley Wink  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Never mind. I'll keep my bid on auto as I'm on a strict budget. Smiley Wink

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Update. I spoke w/ a rep. I ended up making 2 campaigns. One for search and another for display network. Both promoting the same services and both has the same keywords. I'm learning now that search network is very important. It's very competitive. Of course. It makes sense. So I increased my bid and budget for search network and decreased for display network. My budget is very small. I need to make money to spend money. So I'll probably have around 5 clicks a day for the search network. I'll monitor this for a while and see how it goes. I still have only 12 keywords in each campaign. I'll start adding more and experiment as I go. Smiley Wink