Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Low search volume - Niche targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi community, 

I was wondering if someone had clients / work on accounts who are in a niche vertical (ex. one of my clients, they sell a product to a couple of thousand doctors in the country in that practice area every YEAR) that results in 1 or 2 keywords (with some search volume) and the rest of the keywords in that campaign as "low search volume"? Good thing about being in a niche is you don't have many unwanted/non relevant traffic to block but it's also troubling when you have 1 or 2 keywords in one campaign driving traffic, not to mention it's impossible to optimize these long tail (not even that long) keywords. Does anyone have tips on how to optimize for this type of business? 

We are already leveraging display/remarketing and are seeing good results. 

Looking forward to your insights.

Regards,

Chenchen

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Low search volume - Niche targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Chechen
Great question and the answer unfortunately is not so great.

Google is moving FAR away from the need to bid on long tail phrases. The best option in this situation is to use modified broad match to pick up everything and maintain a super tight negative keyword list.

Re: Low search volume - Niche targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah that's pretty much my approach. I see that impacting both display and search. It's good our niche has lower competition compared to other industries but unfortunately it's limited by low search volume. Thanks Dave!