3.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Low impressions - questions for switch from phrase to broad match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are targeting "employment attorney" + 30 other phrase match KWs in a large city with a 20 MI radius and getting very little traffic, about 3 clicks per day and 400 impressions. $45 CPC bid. Average 6-7 QS. 1 keyword per ad group, very tight.

I believe we should be getting way more traffic than this, I checked negative keywords and don't see anything conflicting. Any suggestions?

I am considering switching the keywords to broad match modifier. What is the best method for testing this? Should I create an exact replicate campaign using AE and just switch all the keys to broad match modifier?

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Low impressions - questions for switch from phrase to broad match

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi David;
When saying: "I am considering switching the keywords to broad match modifier" - what match types are you using now?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Phrase.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hmm... Then, I would  add BMM.  However, remember to  bid higher on phrase and the highest on exact. (If you use exact match  for  certain terms.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
As I asked in my OP, would you just create an exact REPLICATE campaign using Adwords Editor and switch all the keywords to BMM? As opposed to altering my current KWs.

In essence I am asking what is the best method for testing BMM?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

No; what I meant was to  add BMM,  in addition to the current  match types, in the same ad-group,   and to compare performances  against the other  match types,

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Please allow me to add a second opinion : Instead of replicating the campaign , I would recommend replicating the ad group and in the new "BMM ad group" add the phrase match keywords as negatives.

Have you checked the Keyword Planner for your keywords in that location to see what volume of traffic it estimates ? Please note that the keyword planner gives you estimates in the main window about exact match traffic.

To see if there is potential new traffic for the phrase keywords if you raise the bids , add in the keywords tab the columns "Competitive Metrics>>Search Impr. share and Search Impr. share" . Also at the campaign level you can use the column "Search Lost IS (budget)" to see if there is traffic lost to a low daily budget.

Did you block mobile Search traffic with a minus 100% bid modifier in that campaign ? Currently traffic from mobiles is a large percentage of searches, often between 30 and 50%.