AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Low expected clickthrough rate but high actual CTR

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a very specific keyword that has an extremely low quality score of 1. AdWords says it has an expected click through rate that is below average. After a little bit of testing we discovered that the initial quality score was completely off. The CTR ended up being 9.09%.

Also the ad relevance and the landing page experience are below average whilst we have dedicated ads and a dedicated landing page which are optimised for these keywords and user experience.

Quality score is still only 1.

Since it's working and all it's not a big problem; the client is receiving valuable leads however the fact that quality score directly influences cost per click and drives up cost worries me a lot. Could somebody explain what's going on?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeroen B
September 2015

Re: Low expected clickthrough rate but high actual CTR

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi jeroen,

It could simply be a case of starting QS. When a Keyword is first added it is given a QS based on the QS of other advertisers and then adjusted for your account history. I would give the Keyword some more time to establish its own QS. You shoud see it increasing in the next few days, provided there is sufficient traffic.

With regards to dedicated ad and landing page. How exactly have you dedicated these to the keyword? Are you using a single keyword ad group? or a Keyword level destination URL, or just one ad in the themed ad group? In other words got I get some more information on your structure.

Let me know, thanks!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeroen B
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi jeroen,

It could simply be a case of starting QS. When a Keyword is first added it is given a QS based on the QS of other advertisers and then adjusted for your account history. I would give the Keyword some more time to establish its own QS. You shoud see it increasing in the next few days, provided there is sufficient traffic.

With regards to dedicated ad and landing page. How exactly have you dedicated these to the keyword? Are you using a single keyword ad group? or a Keyword level destination URL, or just one ad in the themed ad group? In other words got I get some more information on your structure.

Let me know, thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Clynton,

Thanks for your reply.

I have created an ad group specifically for this topic with 4 ads in the ad group which lead to the page we created on the website for this ad group.

I'm suspecting you are right and the keyword needs more time to 'settle'.

Kind regards,
Jeroen

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
No Problem Jeroen,

If the problem persists, just let me know and we can start troubleshooting!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1659696?hl=en

"This expected clickthrough rate is a prediction, so it's different from the actual clickthrough rates shown in the "CTR" column of your account. Unlike the "CTR" column, this status considers how this keyword performs both within your account and across all other advertisers' accounts. "

I bet the QS will not move from 1 very soon. 

In what match type is that keyword with QS of 1 ?

Use the Segment button to check from what segment comes your current CTR, it could be traffic mainly from Mobiles ( Segment>>Device) or it could be from Search partners (Segment>>Network).

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Also the starting QS-es that I am seeing are never 1/10 but 5/10 so if it changed to 1 it is likely passed the initial stage of "early evaluation"

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

I had the same problem, but managed to get the QS score up again fairly quickly.

Look at the Keywords-tab and add the columns: Search Impr. Share, Search Exact match IS, and Search Lost IS (rank). Are you currently losing impressions? No? Great! Than you're still in the race. Look at at the exact match percentage: if that's low, do a real keyword search and see if you can split up the keyword in multiple, more refined keywords. Place these in separate ad groups with targeted ads, and they should perform better. Also look for negative keywords to add.

Sometimes you have to be persistent and keep working on parts of the campaign with a low QS. I think that generic competition and new ads in a spoiled market are to blame.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
@Adrian B I have keyword : Red shoes : in phrase match & Exact match is the same ad group. Actual CTR for phrase is 1.78% ( 47 -clicks , 2646 - imp. ) & for exact match it is 4.64% ( 36 clicks , 776 imp. ) for approx. 10 months data. Speech bubble is telling me Low Expected CTR

What should i do.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We've been dealing with this same issue in our account for a month now.

I took over an account that had been running for several years and launched a whole new set of campaigns that followed Google's best practices much more closely than the old ones did. And yet low expected CTR continues to weigh all of our quality scores down.

I've spoken to half a dozen people at Adwords support and taken all of their suggestions (including improving landing page experience and adjusting match types) but nothing has solved this problem.

Almost every single keyword in our account has a low expected CTR, even the ones with actual CTR's north of 5%.

In a month we've lost 47% of impression share due to low ad rank and nothing that support has suggested has moved the quality scores a single bit. No improvement at all.

Something seems extremely off. I've seen previous clients' QS's move only a few days after making changes. But this problem is persistent.

I check the search terms and there is little to no irrelevant traffic.

How am I supposed to improve my expected CTR when our actual CTRs are already great? How do I fix this?

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.