AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Low Search Volume keywords - worth having?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Following some interesting advice I picked up here:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results-optimize-ROI-CTR/Optimising-KW-list-critique...

I have been optimising my campaign. One of which ways was to add in obscure 'long tail' keywords into my kw list - taken from my search term list of terms which converted. I added the terms as exact match to my keyword list. However there is very low traffic on these keywords. Some may not even get a search in a whole month.

It was my understanding that having these long tail keywords in my list would mean that when they 'did' get searched - I would get a very good CPC for them seeing as I have it as an exact KW in my campaign as opposed to it being triggered by another broad matched KW. Thats the theory.

However a lot of these keywords I added are showing up in my group as inactive due to low volume. I also read something that concerned me - that it might actually hinder my campaign having these keywords - due to google interpretations...

Is it worth having these obscure long tail keywords as exact matches in a campaign?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Low Search Volume keywords / long tail

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi SteveWGoogle;

First, let me say, that I really like to answer questions from users that had run a search (for previous discussions) on the topic, before asking. Users that conduct a background research ask focused and intriguing questions Smiley Happy

Quote:

>>"However a lot of these keywords I added are showing up in my group as inactive due to low volume"

The fact that keywords have low search volume, does not mean that they are inactive.

I recommend to keep only those long tail KWs, that I (or the clients) think are really import search queries for the business.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi there, 

It can sometimes be difficult to tell whether it is useful to keep low search volume keywords in a campaign or not. Low Search Volume keywords generally do not trigger your ads, as few people are searching for these on Google at any one time. 

I would recommend keeping an eye on these Low Search Volume keywords to see how they get on over the next few weeks, if their status does not change over the next few weeks (ie - increase their clicks and impressions) I would recommend editing or deleting these keywords as currently they are not contributing to your campaign.

It is generally best to keep only keywords that are performing well in your account, rather than keep on keywords that are not contributing anything. 

Hope this helps. 

A.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
hi mosche - fair enough - I did a search online but didnt look specifically in the forum...

so do I take it that it is better to just keep your main serach terms a little broad match in order to catch the rare long tail kw - rather than build up the long tail kw list into the campaign...?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I know a lot of these kw will be low volume to the point they may only get 1-2 clicks a month...

when you say "It is generally best to keep only keywords that are performing well in your account, rather than keep on keywords that are not contributing anything. "

My concern is - are there potentially NEGATIVE implications to keeping these very low volume kw in the campaign?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Steve,

There seems to be 2 schools of thought on this question. One group (including me) says low search volume keywords neither harm nor help your campaign. The other group says these keywords can lead to a lower overall score for your campaign.

Your overall account score is mostly based on the the overall CTR of your account. If these keywords get few or no impressions, they really have very little impact on the overall CTR. I leave mine active. The thing about the low search volume keywords is that  they don't become active when one person searches for the term. Several or many people need to be searching for the term before it becomes active and will show impressions.

Perhaps a better strategy would be to add those as phrase or broad match modified. It's hard to say. The real question you need to ask is not the CTR of these keywords, but the conversion rate. If you came by these keywords after doing a search terms report, if only one conversion was reported for a particular phrase, that may not be enough data to make an informed decision to add that phrase as exact match. If you find phrases that had a good number of impressions, a good CTR and a good conversion rate, those are the phrase you will want to add as exact match keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi again Steve;

I returned late to this discussion....Smiley Happy

This has been a very nice discussion.

I think Pete wrapped it up excellently. Any comment that I would add is redundant.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
To quote Google "This keyword isn't eligible to show your ads because few people search for it on Google. When this happens, we make the keyword inactive. "

Re: Low Search Volume keywords - worth having?

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.