4.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Low Quality Score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Confused as to why one of my keywords is receiving a "Rarely shown due to low quality score" status.

This two-word keyword is not only the url of the landing page, it is the most prominent text on my landing page, and the words are mentioned multiple times in the landing page's content. One of the words is also present twice in my ad. 

As for expected CTR, the CTR of this keyword is much higher than other keywords in the ad group.

So, not sure how I have a QS of 2/10 if my expected CTR is presumably high, my ad is certainly relevant, and my landing page experience is also presumably good.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Low Quality Score

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

As you correctly noted the predominant component of QS is CTR.

However; QS is relative. So, it could be that though you have a high CTR -  relative to other advertisers  bidding on this KW  -  it is still well below average.

Keep in mind that the CTR used to calculate QS is a   different than the one shown in the UI. For QS calculation clicks are only counted  for queries which exactly match the keyword.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It might be due to the Ad Delivery Method setting?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

The ad delivery method can  only affect indirectly: If the less attractive  and  less appealing ads (e.g without an offer or without a call to action...)  are shown - they might be clicked less. (And as a result lower the CTR of the KW which triggered the ad.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Do you think having a Bid higher than the Est. Top Page Bid suggested by adwords affect?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I think you should work on improving the CTR (the usual techniques: keywords match types, appealing ad-copy with a call to action, using negative keywords, bid strategy etc...)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What I was addressing with my previous question is the fact that adwords could punish the QS if You increase the bid above the Bid suggested for the top of the page..... Thank you, Which do you think it is a good CTR?..

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

AdWords does not penalize  for setting a higher bid.
You  always pay the minimum to "keep" your position.

CTR is heavily dependent upon location and vertical. However; if your QS is low -  most likely is that your  CTR is  low,  relative to other advertisers.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Landscape S,

Have you looked at any of the competitive metrics for keywords? If not, add the appropriate columns, relative CTR is one you should look at. Your CTR maybe high compared to other keywords in your account, but low when compared to your competition's or other advertisers' use of the keyword.

If this is a new keyword, the QS is based on use of the keyword across all accounts. If your CTR is good when compared to other advertisers' use of the keyword, your QS will improve over time.

I'd like to clarify one thing. Moshe wrote, "For QS calculation clicks are only counted for queries which exactly match the keyword." This is true for the UI numbers you see. It is not necessarily true when the keyword enters the auction for placement. When you look at QS in the UI for the same keyword in different match types all within the same AdGroup, all match types will show the same QS, because they are all based on the exact phrase.

One other thing that may be of interest, QS is calculated each and every time it is displayed or used.

Hope this helps. Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords