Guide Me
star_border

Low Quality Score

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

Thanks for your earlier explanations.

By the way, I am confused about this article,https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/87402
"How ads cycle through the search result pages"

It mentioned that "Top placement (top of the page): All high-ranking ads are eligible to show in the top positions, provided they exceed a certain Quality Score and CPC bid threshold. Up to three ads can show in the top positions on each page."

It means First page top of page ads are subjected to the "exceed a certain Quality Score and cost-per-click (CPC) bid threshold" rule.

So, is there a minimum Quality score (Quality Score threshold)?
If Quality Score is 1, will the ads still showing even bid higher?

Please advice. Thanks in advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Low Quality Score

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good evening.

Quality scores range from very poor (1) to excellent (10). In general, a keyword with a quality score of 1 will not be eligible to trigger ads in any position.

As the article says, there is a minimum ad rank (quality score times keyword bid) necessary to enable an ad to compete for top positioning. However, the rank is likely to be different for different searches--different industries and markets. Because of that, I doubt anyone could tell you a specific number that would produce top-of-page positioning for all markets.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Theresa,

Thanks for your explanation.

I thought a keyword with a low quality score can appear at the top of first page results too if we bid high enough.

The formula for Ad Rank in the auction is Quality Score X Max Bid

Having to say that if the Quality Score is (1), even I bid very high, the ads is not eligible to show?
So, in which range of Quality Score, I still can bid higher in order to show my ads in the top position?
What is Quality Score and Cost Per Click bid threshold?

Please advise. Thank you so much.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Correct;

Google does not disclose specifics, but  a threshold of QS is required for the ad to be shown in the 3 top postions.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pui Mun L
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Keywords with quality scores of 1 are often inactive for search and there is no bid that will override that setting. (However, keywords are sometimes reactivated by the software, at least temporarily. to "test" their performance in an advertiser's account, so I'm not saying you'd never see any traffic against a keyword with a quality score of 1.)

The thing about top-of-page ad positioning is that in addition to the normal "ad rank" calculations, there's a performance quality component. That is, how has that ad performed in the past, when trigged by a search that matched Keyword X.  Because you will have little or no "past performance" history for a keyword with the quality score of 1, there's no way that keyword-ad combination can pass the required quality threshold.

While it's possible to pay outrageous click costs and bid your ads up higher in the SERPs (at least in the short-term), there's a limit to how far that strategy will take you. When it comes to the best ad positioning? You just can't bid into that, without some supporting performance history.

I want to add that we're discussing only keywords with quality scores of 1 at this time. Keywords with higher scores than a 1 will perform differently.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Theresa,

Thanks for your great explanation and thanks for your patience to share those useful info with me.

Besides, Is it possible to know how many times the flexible bidding strategies update the bids, as I read in the notes "updated several times a day..." at https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2979071?hl=en?

Thanks in advance.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pui Mun L
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

I don't think it's possible to know just how often a bid might change when you're using automated bidding.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*