Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Low Quality Score

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,

I have some questions about Quality Score and Bidding. Can a keyword with low Quality score appear at the top of first page results?  If no, is the "low Quality score" a fixed number or varies across keywords?

Please advice. 

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Low Quality Score

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pui Mun L,

Welcome

Ad position is determined by a formula of Keywords (Max CPC x Quality Score).So If your quality score is low then you have to increase your Max CPC bid to Place your ad on the top position.

The quality score varies across keywords based on the relevancy of your ad copies,landing page & CTR%.There are some other factors too which also influence to determine the QS of the keyword.Follow the links for more details...

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to add that it is useful to use the button "Segment " to select Device and "Network" to segment results.

If you have a high Avg. Pos. it could be because the keyword is competitive either in Search Partners ( it happened to me many times) , or it could be winning the top spots on mobiles.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

We have a new article on improving quality score in the User Articles section. You might want to check out Neha's Quality Score – The Magical & Mysterious Metrics.

(My apologies to Neha--I had too many tabs open at once!)

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theresa, have you even read that article ? It is written by Neha not Mildaster as mentioned Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hey Theresa,

That is perfectly fine! Smiley Happy No need apologize, I can understand! Smiley Happy Thanks for sharing!

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Let's click the link .....it sends people to the comment of Mildaster on the bottom of the page....not to the main article, because of the ending    /332212#M1061 

Smiley Happy

Can we also fix that link please? Thank you

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

HI Pui,

Yes a keyword with a low quality score can appear at the top of first page results if you bid up enough to put it there.

The formula for Rank in the auction is Quality Score X Max Bid = Rank

Having said that it is always in an advertisers best interest to increase a low quality score when possible. It can take time depending on your account quality, and the keywords historical performance.

Suggestion:
Always look for relevance. Try at all times to make sure there is a thread of relevance between your Keywords, Ad copy and Landing Pages.   The guage you should watch to understand if you are moving the dial in improving qualtiy score is your Click Through Rate (CTR).

For example if you sell boots you would want to create Campaigns and ad groups for different themes.

Campaign #1: Boots
Adgroup #1: tall boots - containing keywords, ad copy and a landing page on tall boots
Adgroup #2: ankle high boots - containing keywords, ad copy and a landing page on ankle high boots

Adgroup #3: black boots

Adgroup #4: rain boots
etc, etc, etc

Sometimes you need to consider some restructure on the website so that you are delivering relevance and a good user experience too.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Easy Adrian I think it was just a mistake to mention the wrong author. I am sure Theresa read the article or she would not have suggested it.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

HI Adrian,

It looks like the minor mistake in Theresa's post has been corrected. From reading this thread, It looks like Theresa made an honest mistake.  To give this some perspective, I've made a few mistakes in my replies to the Community thread as I'm sure has happened to to most of our Community members. Let's please move on from this issue. Feel free to post and reply to any relevant questions in the forum.

Thanks,