Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Low Quality Score Affecting Ad Group

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, 

I am noticing that one of the keywords in one of my ad groups has a very low quality score of 2/10. But this keyword is getting the most impressions, clicks, and has the highest average ad position out of all of my keywords for that group. I have already segmented by keywords into tight ad groups, and I have at least two ads running per ad group.

What can I do to improve this score? Creating a new landing page is out of the question (websites/landing pages are controlled by corporate). Should I peel the keyword out and put it in its own ad group with the best performing ad? Google suggested that for a different keyword, and my score did improve. 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi HBA,

Yes, I would pull it into it's own ad group. 

You will want to work to improve the quality score of all keywords or ultimately remove them. I say this with a disclaimer that sometimes a low quality keyword will bring you exactly what you want, engage the right customer, spend your budget, and do everything just great... but return a low quality score. In this case, most will leave it and suffer the added cost of running it and nagging concerns by AdWords that it is low.

I still would not want many low quality keywords. I aim for 10; am happy with 9 or 8; accept a 7; seriously consider any 6... and frown upon a 5 or less.

You will want to fully read this information about AdWords & Keywords Quality Score. And you will want to study and utilize this excellent information covering Google AdWords Best Practices

Oh, I would add in another ad to each ad group. I like to have three ads for each. Run them for a few weeks and review. One will usually get most of the traffic, one will get a little, and one will get none. I will then pause the dead one, make another one to replace it and repeat until I get three ads that get actions. Always pause and make new... never edit or remove. Keep the history of your ads... forever. 

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@HBA

Yep, there are keywords that behave "strange", especially in competitive verticals.

Raise the bid higher, though I understand that  it has a high avg position.  The predominant component of QS is CTR. Try to improve it, as much as you can

Check also exact impression share (rank) for this keyword.  This would give you a clue if there is a room for improvement.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi HBA,

You're getting the most clicks and impressions for this keyword, but is it the best CTR? CTR is the main factor in QS.

Are you using all possible extensions on your ads? If not, add them. They will help improve your QS.

What's the ad relevancy look like? If your ad relevancy is low, moving to its own ad group could help. Write your ad copy specifically geared toward the keyword. Is your landing page experience low? You can't do anything about the landing page, but you can write your ad so it is more "relevant" to the landing page.

Is your site mobile friendly? If not, that's a big problem. Also, page load time is an important factor. If either of these is an issue, bring it up with you web developer team.

How are your conversion rates for this keyword? Low conversion rates could indicate your ad offers something the landing page doesn't support.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Another key question is which of the 3 factors is lowering quality score? Click the keyword status bubble next to the keyword to see which of the factors is causing the problem. I'm guessing they are all average or below average since you're at 2 but it still may clue you in on what the problem is.

Check search terms report to see if there are any rouge terms that may be showing your ad for irrelevant searches.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Both the CTR and Landing Pages say they are below average. I really can't do anything with the landing page as we are the US subsidiary of a company in another country. Corporate controls the websites, and while we can offer input, it doesn't mean that they will make changes. I've already had this conversation numerous times with nothing getting done.

The conversion rates for that ad group are low - only that keyword is getting any clicks. CTR is under 1%. All the other keywords with QS available are between 6 and 3. I only have about 6 keywords in this ad group. 

I checked the search terms to see what triggered the keyword. It seems like for all of our ad groups/ads/keywords, the search terms used to find us are all over the place. And the more I narrow down the keywords and add more exact matches over broad match, the less impressions we get. I would be fine with that, if we were still getting a significant amount of clicks, but we aren't. I've add more negative keywords as well, and that hasn't seemed to help. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Across all my accounts, less than 1% CTR usually signals an issue to me and often (but not necessarily) low QS as well.

I'm curious - is the keyword in question unmodified broad match?

The fact that you say "the search terms used to find us are all over the place" shows that you probably need to spend time tightening up the keyword targeting with tighter matching and negatives. It stinks to lose all the volume but chances are that the "all over the place" volume is not getting a lot of results.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@WebEminence

For the sake of this thread, the keyword I'm working on is "chuck lathe".  We are in the manufacturing industry. A search term that came up over and over again is "wood lathe chuck". We don't really deal with customers who use wood lathes. So "wood" and "wood lathe" became negative keywords. Now I'm wondering if this keyword is necessary. I also have "chuck for lathe", "lathe chuck" and "lathe chucks" as keywords also. Lathe chucks has an 8/10 QS and lathe chuck has a 3/10 QS (same ad group) but they both have good impressions and clicks. Chuck for lathe doesn't have any impressions or a QS yet.

I've been trying to tighten the the match between our keywords and ads. I have 11 ad groups in one campaign. 7 out of 11 ad groups have 6 or less keywords in it. All of the ad groups have at least 2 ads. I'm working on copy for the third ads in each group as we speak. I think our biggest issue is trying to guess what people are searching for. None of the search terms match what we had expected

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sherron
March

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

If you don't sell products for wood lathes, and wood lathes have the most interest (impressions), then excluding 'wood' alone may not be enough. If the users are searching for 'lathe chuck(s)', but don't specify what type of lathe chucks they are looking for in the search term, then you don't know based on the search term alone what type of lathe chucks someone is looking for. So you have to make sure you are clear in your ad content that you only make/sell chucks for metal lathes. If the majority of those users are searching for wood lathe chucks, your CTR will suffer because you are specifically telling them that you do not have what they are looking for. But, if 'lathe chuck' is the only term that generates any impressions, clicks, and conversions (sales), then you still have to target that term in order to reach your target market.

Have you ever tried a Dynamic Search Ads campaign? Rather than trying to guess what should work, or what your target market is actually searching for, try letting Google make the match through a DSA campaign and see what kind of search terms come out of that. You will still have to keep working on and experimenting with the ad copy of course. But, with no KW's used for targeting, and no KW QS to worry about, you may learn something new that helps you accomplish the end goal of generating more sales through the advertising.

Tom

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@tomhalejr

Ok thanks. I will try using metal lathe in our ad copy and and I will create a dynamic search ad. I'll see what keywords we get from that. I did think about the dynamic search ads, but I wasn't sure how well they would work for our industry. Some people are very specific with their search and some are very broad, so we will see what happens.