Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Low QS paused not deleted - bad?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

Does it hurt an account to have low QS keywords in it that are paused but not deleted?
Would it be better to delete them?

Any official documents on this?

/ David

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Low QS paused not deleted - bad?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi David,

Any keywords that are paused in an account are still considered active (though not enabled) in your account and if you are not planning on bringing them back due to their past performance I'd recommend deleting them.

Your account does have it's own historical performance and by having paused low QS keywords in there AdWords can also bring these into the overall account history as they are still seen as active which could potentially have a negative effect on your account. 

I'll see if I can find any official recommendations  from Google about this one for you.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi David,

David_Precisera wrote:

Hi 

Does it hurt an account to have low QS keywords in it that are paused but not deleted?
Would it be better to delete them?

Any official documents on this?

/ David

As far as my understanding goes, if you have paused a keyword with tag mark of low ad rank or low quality score attached to it, then there should be an impact of that in your account for sometime.

Now this impact will remain till the time another variation of that keyword has been introduced and now if that new keyword has been performing well in the sense that you maintain an excellent CTR, high ad rank and high Quality Score; then slowly and gradually this keyword would overcome the low impact of old keyword and the account will start accumulating high perfomance metrics. 

That's purely my thoughts and could differ from others!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David_Precisera
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

No matter if your keywords are paused or deleted, they still have an impact on the "historical performance evaluation" of your account.

QS of a deleted / paused KW will affect the account performance for some time, but its "weight" in the (account) overall performance will decrease over time. (As happens with an overall GPA at school: As you take more exams, past courses' contribution to the GPA is reduced)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks guys,

if I interpret you correctly, you´re saying that it´s the harm that has been while the keyword was actuve that lingers and effects the account for some time. But the fact that the keyword is still in the account but paused has no effect on the overall QS of the account.

That seems reasonable to me, just wanted to check as there has been roumors about paused low quality keywords still influencing bad carma and should be deleted a.s.a.p

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Correct;

Paused or deleted, both impact the account history.

I personally first pause keywords, and only after a while delete them.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi David,

I look at it like this. If you think you may want to restore the keyword to active sometime in the future, pause the keyword. If you think you will never re-activate the keyword, delete it.

Best of Luck

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Moshe: I´d say impacted ´cause I don´t believe a paused or deleted keyword impats the account per se.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@David;

My understanding, is that when you start a new campaign, the initial QS you are awarded, is based on other advertisers' QS for a given KW, and the overall CTR of all the ads and keywords in your account. (That includes paused +deleted). Later, when you start gaining impressions, the more recent CTR takes over.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Your account does have it's own historical performance and by having paused low QS keywords in there AdWords can also bring these into the overall account history as they are still seen as active which could potentially have a negative effect on your account. 

I doubt this. But if anyone can point to some official document supporting I am ready to change my mind : )

Any AdWords-engineers around who can confirm?