Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Low QS inevitable?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey guys,

I have a campaign for my mortgage business. I'm starting small to get the hang of things. 2 ad groups, each ad group has 2 ads.

Keywords are VERY targeted and ads carefully written following best practices. Landing page is very relevant.

I'm happy with the CTR around 4% for each ad. But QS for most keywords is around 3/10 even for what I consider to be the most relevant, profitable, and well performing keywords. 

Is this a result of Google looking into their database for this industry and basically giving an intrinisically low QS to these types of keywords/ads or could I actually expect to raise the QS to 7,8. or 9 out of 10? (e.g. mortgage/loan type keywords)

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Low QS inevitable?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi birchlore;

Nice question;

I should say, that I have never encountered that. But, I have heard advertisers complaining that in some "competitive markets" (e.g. Financial services - as in your case, legal services, ) no matter how much you utilize "QS best practices", - the QS never crosses a certain level. The "argument" I was told, was that QS was "relative among all advertisers" . (Not completely sure what it meant... Smiley Embarassed)

Here is a discussion on the exact same topic, from last year. Though good answers, with all best practices, the questions still remains.... Smiley Surprised

A mystery called "Quality Score"

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi birchlore, it's a difficult question, as I'm sure you've found.  It's certainly true that at least some part of the mysterious Quality Score calculation involves the typical performance of other advertisers, so it everyone else on the planet is a really terrible advertiser for these Keywords, 3/10 may actually be quite good and all you can expect.

Having said this, even taking this "external influence" into account, I'd expect the QS to be higher than 3.  A CTR of 4% is reasonable, I think it could go higher - this is a Search only campaign I take it?  How are your Groups split down in terms of theme?  It's really important to ensure your Ad Groups are tightly themed to a single topic and "mortgage" alone, for example, is nowhere near focused enough.  I'd be looking for different Groups for the different types of mortgage, ones for first time buyers, ones for remortgaging, etc.  

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

bob
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
bob
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This may sound very simplisitic and it is because only way I can do things!!!   

My experience has been to take a lqs phrase and simply tweak it using basically adjectives or nouns.  Exaxmple would be a 3/10 phrase such as "garden plants".   To use a noun I would simply insert "sale" if my goal is to sell garden plants.  The one word insertion usually moves the QS up 1 - 3 points by itself.  "garden plants sale".

For an adjective it would be "local" so now we have "local garden plants" and that becomes a 5/10 QS.   If you do this you will see the QS trending pattern. 

In my own accounts I bascially accept only 7/10 as lowest so I can also increase my CTR rates.   You will land on some adjectives and nouns that will dramatically improve your QS which then improves your CTR and your CPC.  All these feed into each other. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

When you click on the conversation bubble in the status column, what does it say for these?

Expected clickthrough rate
Ad relevance
Landing page experience 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Whether a CTR of 4% is good is seen in relation to the CTR of other advertisers for the same query and in the same ad position

What´s your gen pos?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Cobnut said:

>> typical performance of other advertisers

As he points out, said another way, is that your CTR is compared to that of other advertisers. Note that position is taken into account. Also note there are other factors of QS, I'm just considering the CTR.

To get technical, it's likely some sort of standard deviation calculation. The average is calculated as is a deviation. The average is set at QS=5 and for every standard deviation you are away from that mean, your QS changes accordingly in the same direction.

Since all you need to do is get a higher CTR to get further away (ideally positively) from the mean, I don't buy the argument that 3 or 4/10 is all you can hope for. The very definition of standard deviation means that some have QS of 5 and higher because some advertisers are above the average. A higher number of advertisers in that niche is irrelevant or that there's more "terrible" advertisers in that niche.

>> QS was "relative among all advertisers"

Basically jargon that translates to my explanation of QS above. You'll have advertisers at each QS since you start from an average. There may be clusters below or above it (some markets may have an unusually higher concentration at lower QS) but again, the definition means you can achive higher QS and that you will find such advertisers.

Or as David said:

>> Whether a CTR of 4% is good is seen in relation to the CTR of other advertisers for the same query and in the same ad position

>> tweak it using basically adjectives or nouns.

There are some "hot" words that can increase click rates. But they may not in all niches. Sale is one such word and seems to work for Bob. It's not that it's an adjective or noun that's increasing the QS. It's that it attracts people to his ad and they click more on it. There are many other hot words of course. But what works best in my experience is mentioning benefits.

bob
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
bob
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

per Lucid comment: "hot" words.

agree and you have to know your market niche.  Other general terms that work well in many niches is use of "information" in keyword phrase as most people don't prefer sales hype but want "information" especially at search info. dawning.  Also folks want "websites" specific to their quest.   

Basically think as your customer would begining to find you and work up from basic to final choice by appending or addending to the basic search phrase your tweak words.   

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Here's an example from my campaign. It's search only.

Keywords:

+toronto +mortgage +broker

[toronto mortgage broker]

[best toronto mortgage broker]

[mortgage broker toronto]

etc etc etc (all exact match ariations of +toronto +mortgage +broker +keyword)

bunch of broad negatives (e.g. course, salary, classes, income)

Meant to be for people who are specifically looking for a mortgage broker. I have other ad groups for first time buyers, rate shoppers, private mortgages etc.  

And here is an example of one of the 2 ads I have running (with location extension):

Toronto Mortgage Broker
Great service and excellent rates.
Contact me for professional advice.
www.mysite.ca

I think my site is very relevant. The landing page is the home page because the ad group is specifically for people looking, in general, for a mortgage broker. 

But when I hover over the keyword [toronto mortgage broker] which I think is the most relevant, it shows 3/10:

Kind of confused.... I don't think I can make the ad group any tighter. Maybe ad copy can get better but that's what I'm testing now. Site is pretty good I think, ranks organically for most of my keywords. Loads quick etc..

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Tough case.

How many impressions and clicks have you received for your highest volume keyword?
Could be that the system needs more data to adjust.