AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Low Keyword QS -I don't understand

Jim
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Jim
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I though I hada grasp on how AdWords works but maybe not.

With the below keywords, text ad, and landing page my quality scores range from 3.0 to 4.0. What am I doing wrong?

Keywords:

• grass cut
  • grass cutting
  • metairie grass cut
  • grass cutters

Text Ad:

• Grass Cut in Metairie
  • Grass Cut, Edged, & Bagged
  • Contact Us Now For Great Service!
  • yardscut.com/Metairie-Grass-Cut

Landing Page:

http://www.yardscut.com/metairie-grass-cutting.html

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Low Keyword QS -I don't understand

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

You are not doing anything wrong Jim. QS is what it is, yes perhaps you can improve it over time, but a "low" QS (could be worse than 3-4) does not mean that the keyword is a "bad" keyword. 

How do you know whether or not these keywords are worth optimizing to improve QS for?

How many conversions/sales/customers do these terms generate?

I know it seems like QS is all there is to adwords, and should be your primary concern, but try not to get stuck in that cycle, before you at least determine which exact match search terms generate the most revenue.

Do users search more often for grass cutting, or landscaping in Metairie, LA?

(lawn or yard are common temrs in the Northwest for the grassy area of the home, and perhaps lawn care, or yard maintenence, etc. may still apply to grass cutting)

Are 'grass cutters' people who cut your grass for you, or a tool you use to cut your own grass?

(The intention of the usre being to pay for a service, vs. buying a do it yourelf product)

How do customers most often contact you (conversion) - Phone calls, emails?

(If phone calls, how many phone calls do the low QS KW's generate or not?)

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jim,

Tom's advise is spot on and the questions he presented are quite important but I wanted to add in one quick thought.  You may be able to generate different QS by using different Match Types on your keywords.  In case you're unfamiliar, here is a little guide I put together:

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Keyword-Match-Types-for-Search-Campaigns/ta...

Hope this helps!

-The other Tom Smiley Happy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

You are not doing anything wrong Jim. QS is what it is, yes perhaps you can improve it over time, but a "low" QS (could be worse than 3-4) does not mean that the keyword is a "bad" keyword. 

How do you know whether or not these keywords are worth optimizing to improve QS for?

How many conversions/sales/customers do these terms generate?

I know it seems like QS is all there is to adwords, and should be your primary concern, but try not to get stuck in that cycle, before you at least determine which exact match search terms generate the most revenue.

Do users search more often for grass cutting, or landscaping in Metairie, LA?

(lawn or yard are common temrs in the Northwest for the grassy area of the home, and perhaps lawn care, or yard maintenence, etc. may still apply to grass cutting)

Are 'grass cutters' people who cut your grass for you, or a tool you use to cut your own grass?

(The intention of the usre being to pay for a service, vs. buying a do it yourelf product)

How do customers most often contact you (conversion) - Phone calls, emails?

(If phone calls, how many phone calls do the low QS KW's generate or not?)

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jim,

Tom's advise is spot on and the questions he presented are quite important but I wanted to add in one quick thought.  You may be able to generate different QS by using different Match Types on your keywords.  In case you're unfamiliar, here is a little guide I put together:

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Keyword-Match-Types-for-Search-Campaigns/ta...

Hope this helps!

-The other Tom Smiley Happy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jim

As an advertiser, looking at your quality score data can be helpul in determing to what extent your efforts are being paid or how well you are striving to make advertising "relevant" for your target audience and profitable for yourself.

Now on the same lines, when you create a new ad, use relevant keywords, high quality landing page and stuff, do all best you can think off, you have to play the game of patience. When you create something real relevant, "you" know its relevant but google does not award you with any "QS" juice on just the fact that you think its relevant or if he personally thinks is relevant !

There are guidelines which we all as paid marketers or advertisersSmiley Happy are prescribed to follow to achieve success and thus  impressive quality score boosting metrics are the ones which justify if the "users" are finding your efforts relevant. So, even if your ad, keywords and landing page are super relevant to each other, the crux is that, they got to be relevant to the user query/searches and on the basis of it you will be gradually improving your QS.

Now, when you add new keywords for a matched ad you must have noticed that they all are assigned a QS instantly !! Be it any figure in the range of 1-10, how come they are assigned a QS without even performing / without even knowing how well they match user search query when they have not even went live??

You can refer this initial QS as "base QS". This is the QS which is assigned to your new keywords based on how they have performed for other advertisers. It is this QS which you have to take forward.Sometimes, initially a keyword is provided with a QS of "7" but the moment it enters live auction it dips to 3 or 4 !!

If this is a good figure (between 5-10), you can interpret that the particuar keyword has done good for other advertisers and is profitable to an extent and also that it brings stiff competition. If it is a low figure from the start, you can guess that it has not done too good historically and you will have take extra care of it (also that they will eat more of your money to provide a decent ROI).

So, ultimately either you will be building on it or will help it fall even more. In both cases you have got to be patient and focus more of the effort rather worrying about an unimpressive "QS". Focus on having a decent CTR for your keywords, testing multiple ad copies, bidding intelligently and rest all will fall in place automatically.

Hope it helps.

Best

Mudit

Jim
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Jim
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks everyone for your replies. If I'm not wrong then maybe the QS algo is wrong. How can the QS purport to be on the side of raising quality when it discourages ads that are very relevant and yet the algo says no? Something is broke.

I am continiuing even with low QS and I am recieving high CTRs. My keywords are correct, my ad text is right, my landing page is spot on, the CTRs are high . . ., if there is nothing wrong from my side then maybe the system that is telling me something is wrong has failed.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Jim

You mentioned that you are getting high CTR for your keywords. Thats is really nice, but do make it a habit to check the search term report for your keywords on a weekly basis to confirm if your ads are getting clicked on queries which are profitable to you / which you desire.

The quality score of your keywords is calculated each time your keyword is eligible to enter the auction and the highest chunk of QS is distributed to keywords which match the search query the best.

Rest, I can say with some certainity if not surity that within few months your keywords would have an impressive QS if you carry on the good work. It happened for me !

Best

Mudit

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

The bottom line is every single advertiser, feels they deserve a QS of 10, for every single keyword, they may add to their adwords account. I don't mean to be contradictory or dismissive to your concerns, but that's just the way it is. Smiley Happy I've only been a part of the community for a year or so, but I guaruntee you "why do I have such a low QS for X" is the single most common question asked.

I hate the fact, that (at least I feel) like I have to be the bad guy, or the grumpy one, and say:

1. Ultimately, QS is beyond your control. (good, bad, indifferent, it's just the way it is)

2. QS aint all there is to adwords.

If you use topic, interest category, or remarketing list targeting on the display network, no KW's, no (known, writ) QS exists, yet ads can still run. What do you measure then? How would you evaluate that advertsing? 

"My keywords are correct" According to who? You, as the industry expert may know the correct term for your specific service is grass cutting, but your target market may think the correct term for that service is lawn care. Your customers are not the google algorithim, or fellow industry expert competitors.

"my ad text is right" How did the headline Metairie Grass Cut, with the exact same adtext, and display url perform in terms of CTR alone to the current headline you are using? What about Metairie Grass Cutting as the headline? Ad text, is not right or wrong, it's better or worse than...

"my landing page is spot on" I'm no website guy, but there's always room for improvement, especially depending on what you are measuring. What is the conversion rate (whatever the on-site performance metric is) for that page? Is that better or worse than a different page, depending on which user queried what keyword, and saw and clicked on which ad?

I think the only thing you are doing "wrong" is focusing on QS for your initial seed keywords, over conversion rates for the ads and the underlying search queries. AdWords is not something you can set and forget, and expect QS of 10 for all your keywords. Yes, you may be able to continue to optimize and improve QS, but why put that effort into keywords that may not be making you any money? Try not to think in terms of right or wrong, it's bad enough thinking in temrs of profit and loss alone, but that is the bottom line. If every cent you spend on a KW with a QS of 4 makes you two cents profit, are you going to stop advertising that keyword just because of "low quality score"? KNow which terms are the money makers, then work to improve QS for those exact terms.

Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You are the man Thomas..lol.

Best

Mudit

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Tom, you have looked at the keywords, ad, and landing page I posted, correct? What is wrong with it?

Google purports to have developed a system that can tell when an AdWords posting is of such low quality that it will not likely be relevant to a user searching for a particular thing. Also, Google uses this sytem to alert advertisers when they should improve or drop their ads. If there is nothing wrong, or at least nothing majorly wrong, with my posting then what Google purports to be working is clearly not working.

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

Bottom line, if NOT having a QS of 10 is "wrong"... I don't know what to say. Keep trying to improve CTR, and see if the QS goes up.

Tom