Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Low Adrank

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have just set up a new campaign for a new site. I am not getting my ad displayed due to low Adrank.

The first page bid is 0.01. I have a bid of .05. My QS is 10/10. I would have though that would have done the trick.

What is going on?

How do I fix that?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MandM
September 2015

Re: Low Adrank

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

From a relative newbie...

I find that my exact match keywords are the most cost effective. Though my bids may be over $1-2, the actual CPC averages less than 20 cents. Some days it's below 10 cents. I advertise on the search network only.

I keep my modified broad match and phrase match keywords in a separate campaign that runs only at limited times, so I can keep them from eating up my budget for the exact match ones. I also add negative keywords constantly so that I'm not bidding against people selling completely different things (and who have deeper pockets). Frequent refinements to my ad text also keeps my CTR high, which in turn seems to lower costs.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey MandM,

I would go ahead and increase your bid to $0.50 - $1, as I usually take Googles bid suggestions with a grain of salt. Have you diagnosed your ads? Make sure your ads correspond with the keywords your bidding on as well as the landing page that you send traffic too. You can click on the speech bubble next to keywords & ads in order to receive further diagnostic information.

What are your keyword match types set to? If [exact] or "phrase", try broadening to +modified +broad +match. 

I would also run a few keywords through the Ad Preview & Diagnosis tool. If they arn't displaying, you will get additional diagnostic information here as well.

When did you launch your campaign? Sometime it takes a little bit of time for ads to start to appear.

Thanks,

BI

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi MandM, 

If it's a brand new campaign it may take some time for the campaing to find it's feet and begin running. If your quality score is high and your bid is competitive your ads should begin to show. Please bear in mind also that there is a reporting delay in AdWords, so if your campaign is brand new your statistics may not have populated in the account yet. 

I would also recommend trying out the Ad Preview Tool as this will let you know whether or not your ad is running and if it isn't it will give you a reason why. 

Hope this helps!

A.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have noticed when creating a few adgroups that most of my keywotrds start out 10/10 QS. But after a few hours it drops to 7/10.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi there,

I would recommend doublechecking the 'first page bid estimates' in the keyword tab. They may have changed since you last checked.

The estimate is based on the keyword's Quality Score and current advertiser competition for that keyword, so there's no guarantee you'll consistently be on the first page but it will provide you with an approximate CPC required to achieve first page results. 

I hope this helps!

Rachel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks everyone for your help. Yes it was a new campaign and the QS has now dropped and the price per click has gone up considerably. Now I am thinking maybe adwords is not the way to go. If you are trying to move low price items, say $20, you dont really want to be paying up to $1 a click. You might only get 1 purchase in 10 clicks and your profit is gone. Does anyone have any strategies to promote low price items?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MandM
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

From a relative newbie...

I find that my exact match keywords are the most cost effective. Though my bids may be over $1-2, the actual CPC averages less than 20 cents. Some days it's below 10 cents. I advertise on the search network only.

I keep my modified broad match and phrase match keywords in a separate campaign that runs only at limited times, so I can keep them from eating up my budget for the exact match ones. I also add negative keywords constantly so that I'm not bidding against people selling completely different things (and who have deeper pockets). Frequent refinements to my ad text also keeps my CTR high, which in turn seems to lower costs.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks fnippy. That has got me a couple of clicks under 20 cents. That will work for me. Much appreciated.