Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Low Ad Rank when QS is 10/10 and No Competition

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello guys need some help in understand the following scenarios:

• The ad does not appear reasoning "Low Ad Rank" for some keywords.  
  • However the Quality score for the keyword is 10/10
  • and there is no competitor bidding for the keyword. 

(we have a reasonable bid for the keyword, I understand increasing the bid could be a solution for this however I'm wondering when there's no competition and such high QS for those keywords how can the ad rank be lower resulting the ad for not to appear)  

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Low Ad Rank when QS is 10/10 and No Competition

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Infas,

Welcome to the AdWords community Smiley Happy

Ad Rank is calculated based on QS, Max CPC and format of ad extensions. So You can add different types of Ad Extensions in the campaign, so that your Ad Rank would increase.

If you are saying, there is no competitions, It does not mean there is no competitions at all. It all depends on Device, Locations, Time and Search Term, when you are searching the keywords on Google.

There is certain threshold that Google sets to appear your ads appearing on the SERP (But has been not disclosed). So, its better try to improve the Ad Rank of your keywords.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Infas,

As ad rank is a product of quality score and bid amount, both these factors need to contribute to a high ad rank for ads to appear. Yes, increasing bids would certainly help. Have you added the est. First & top page bid columns to check what's the required bid to show at least to the right side on Google? If you haven't I'd recommend doing that. Further, could you elaborate on your conclusion about 'no competition' and how you've arrived at it? Also, please provide a few sample keywords that have a 10/10 quality score and doesn't trigger the ad.

Cheers,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Infas,

Welcome to the AdWords community Smiley Happy

Ad Rank is calculated based on QS, Max CPC and format of ad extensions. So You can add different types of Ad Extensions in the campaign, so that your Ad Rank would increase.

If you are saying, there is no competitions, It does not mean there is no competitions at all. It all depends on Device, Locations, Time and Search Term, when you are searching the keywords on Google.

There is certain threshold that Google sets to appear your ads appearing on the SERP (But has been not disclosed). So, its better try to improve the Ad Rank of your keywords.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Thanks for pitching in, Rakesh!
That's great advice Smiley Happy

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Infas,

There is rarely a case where there is no competition or history for any keyword. The fact that no ads appear on the SERP for your keyword does not mean there is no competition. It is much more likely an indicator that the keyword has been tried by other advertisers with little or no success.

You could increase your bid, or try some of the other methods show here to increase your ad rank enough for your ad to show, but I would look more closely at whether those keywords are actually worth a higher bid. There is likely a reason other ads do not appear for these keywords.

AdRank is QS * Max CPC bid. Extensions can now figure into the QS, but as far as I know they do not affect the AdRank directly in any other way.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

petebardo wrote:

AdRank is QS * Max CPC bid. Extensions can now figure into the QS, but as far as I know they do not affect the AdRank directly in any other way.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Pete,

My interpretation of the Ad Rank and Extensions is that Extensions do effect Ad Rank, based upon the language from  here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752122?hl=en

"the main components of your Ad Rank are your bids and the quality of your ads and website. We also incorporate the expected impact from your extensions and other ad formats when computing your Ad Rank. When estimating the expected impact of extensions and ad formats, we consider such factors as the relevance, clickthrough rates, and the prominence of the extensions or formats on the search results page. So even if your competition has higher bids than yours, you can still win a higher position at a lower price by using highly relevant keywords, ads, and extensions.

And here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722122?hl=en

"Your Ad Rank is a score that's based on your bid, the components of Quality Score (expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience), and the expected impact of extensions and other ad formats."

From that language, it would seem the Ad Extension do play a decent Role in the Ad Rank equation, and have been this way since cica early summer if I recall the original discussions and how I have been managing accounts.

Am I interpreting this Wrong? 

With all respect

Eric

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Eric,

That's not how I understood this, but you appear to be right about this. I would imagine the OP could get some results by adding extensions, but if the keywords never show, is there a gauge of expected impact, or do the extensions need time to work before they have an effect on the AdRank? I suppose that's why I included the caveat, "as far as I know". Thanks for your comments.

I still think the only way his ad is going to show is by increasing the bid, possibly beyond and expectation of profit on these keywords. Even after adding extensions, he will probably need to raise his bids to get a number of impressions and clicks with those extensions showing to affect the AdRank. If he's confident he will get a good response when his ad does show for those keywords, a good CTR on those keywords should have the effect of lowering his CPC's and/or showing the ad more frequently.

I don't mind being corrected!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

One other idea : use the button "keyword diagnosis" to see if some other keyword is blocking impressions from that keywords of QS 10/10.

I have seen many cases where 2 keywords have the same QS , they are similar keywords and because the one made from 2 words had a bid of 5 cents above the one from 3 words, the keyword from 2 words blocked serving of ads from the keyword of 3 words.

In this case a solution would be to move this keyword in its own ad group and set it as a negative in the ad group where you have similar keywords blocking it.