Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Lots of additional keywords and daily budget

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Situation: Multiple individual Auto Repair Shops campaigns, each with several adgroups, each adgroup relates to particular service shop provides (oil change, transmission repair, muffler repair, etc) with it's own strictly relevant set of keywords. All BROAD match with carefully created set of negative keywords. 

Well performing, very happy.

Now, we decided to expand by just adding car makes and models to existing keywords. For example, Transmission repair adgroup had keywords such as:

transmission repair , gearbox  repair near me, etc.

Now we have:

transmission repair +Ford, gearbox repair near me + Ford, etc.

Basically we added every popular car make and model to existing KWs, thus increasing the total amount of keywords ~ X100 times.

What happened is that suddenly number of impressions/clicks dropped ~50%.

We suspect that this is happening because we still keep the old daily budgets for each campaign, and AdWords simply is "afraid" to display our ads in order to avoid going over the limit.

Is this a correct assumption?

Thank you,

D

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Lots of additional keywords and daily budget

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Dimitry,

How does your CPC look? Has it increased? It sounds like you aren't currently maxing out your budget - were you previously?

AdWords can spend up to 20% over your daily budget, so it wouldn't be that they are afraid to hit the limit.

Has anything changed with ads or targeting? I'm assuming you kept your previous keywords active even after you added the new ones, is that correct?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
NOTHING changed... All parameters are intact except for the impressions' drop...

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Okay.. well, this is a really interesting situation. I've been thinking about it a lot. Are the bids on your new keywords substantially higher than your old keywords?

The reason I ask is because Google can overspend the budget by 20% as I mentioned before, so there wouldn't really be a concern of hitting the budget limit from their perspective. However, if your keyword bids are a substantial ration to budget, for lack of better terms, that can be a problem. For instance, if your budget is $10 and your keyword bid is $7, you won't get many impressions because if you received 2 clicks, you would be more than 20% over your daily budget. Google would have to try to space it out so that you would only get 1 click from a $7 keyword and then one click from a $3-5 keyword. If you have a $100 budget with keyword bids set at $2, they can show your ad much more freely without concern of overspending by 20%+.

If that's not the case, then without any other setting changes, I can't think of any reason that your impressions and clicks would decrease. It might make sense to reach out to support directly.

I don't know enough about your campaigns to really say but I might suggest creating a separate campaign for each of the manufacturers because there is probably more competition on variations of ford, that could drive up CPCs although I think there is volume there to be had so I definitely don't disagree with your decision to add them! Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Amy,

new keywords were added to the same groups where "original" keywords are located, so they use same adgroup bid. Nothing else was changed.

Mistery to me...

D

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Dmitry,

It does sound to me like your original theory could be correct; the relationship between how many Keywords you have and your budget is often overlooked by advertisers.

How long have these new Keywords been in place?  What sort of bidding strategy are you using?

Personally, I would probably have left the original Campaigns/Groups as they were if they were performing well, and added new Campaigns/Groups for the new Keywords.  This would have allowed you to see more clearly where any changes in performance lied.  You could still do this, of course; it would be a relatively easy task with the AdWords Editor.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
We're using just manual bidding, max CPC and all...

What if I increase bids for this new keywords? Say +5%? This should distinguish them from original KWs when somebody uses car make or model in a query, and original KWs should still work for those queries without model/make...

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I experienced a drop in QS values when adding many similar keywords in the same ad group. Do you track the QS of keywords via labels ?

It is best to have 1 ad group per keyword.

Did you use the button "keyword diagnosis" to see how many of your keywords do not run because of "low ad rank" ? You may dicover that now you have hundreds of keywords not serving impressions.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Hi Dmitry,

I agree with Jon here. Ideally, I would have added the new set of keywords (specific to a brand) under a different campaign with brand specific adgroups. This way, I am not eating into the original campaigns budget and also, I am ensuring that I show relevant adcopies (to the extent that AdWords allows you to use Brand names) to your audience.

As for your drop in impressions, I will try my best to explain this to you. We all know that CTR, avg CPC's, Impressions & Clicks are all interconnected to each other and affect your campaign performance every day.

In your case, when you added the brand specific keywords to your existing campaign, you basically raised internal competition between your keywords. Since all of your keywords are at default bid, the QS of your keywords came into the picture. While your existing keywords had a good QS, the new keywords due to the addition of brand keywords would have lower QS (due to low relevance). But due to this internal competition, your CPC's would increase for your pre existing keywords, which would affect your overall Clicks & Impressions eventually.

For you to get back your visibility, I recommend getting some additional funding to run the brand specific themes & run them in a separate campaign in your account. While this may not be an immediate fix, it should help you eventually get your campaign performance back on track.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"