Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Lost of Goals Conversion Tracking Data - Analytics

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello folks,

I'd like to ask for suggestions in regard of how to recover the goals conversion tracking data in Analytics...

It happens that my dashboard suddenly started to show null data, but my website didn't suffer any change, so I'm not completely sure why is this happening

If anyone has previous experience dealing with this type of situation it would be great if suggestion can be shared! 

Following is a screen capture of what I'm seeing in analytics at my end:

goals_tracking_lost.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Luis,

The first things to look at are:

Are the goals still active?

Do the goal URLs still get traffic?

If the goals are events, is the event code still on the appropriate pages?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello @RobSkelton

I've check the elements that you mentioned and here are the replies:

- All goals are active, I visited the GA admin tab and all buttons are "on" and running

- If by "URL still get traffic" you mean that the page is open to the public and all visitors can view it without restriction... then the answer is yes, in fact is a very important page for lead generation (that's why I'm worry to solve this asap)

- I've talked with my webmaster regarding if there was any updates in the tracking code and the answer for this would be no, there were no changes and in fact the code was ported exactly as it was used within the previous version of our website (there was a major website update)... so basically the code wasn't touched at all.

Any other thoughts about how to fix this issues regarding organic conversions tracking?

Thanks in advance!

Luis Enrique

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Luis,

By 

Do the goal URLs still get traffic?

I mean, in Google Analytics are there still visits to the page? 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello @RobSkelton

Thanks for the reply!

I just checked the URL from which the conversions have been tracked over the time using the GA conversion code and there's daily traffic without any interruptions... so people are able to reach the page at their will and that won't be an issue for this case.

What other reasons could exist for the lose of tracking data in this case?

Best Regards!

Luis Enrique

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Luis,

The last thing I can think of is that your goals are destinations, and the URL of the page counting as a goal has changed. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @RobSkelton

The goals are configured as custom events and we are actually using a piece of code using events conditions to trigger the conversion tracking. I'm not sure if there was any change in the code insertion methodology, have you heard about any updates in that regard? maybe I lost some news...

Regards!

Luis Enrique

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi Luis,

There haven't been any changes on the Google side of things.

If the web page is still getting visits recorded in Analytics, but events aren't being triggered, then these are possibilities:

The event code on the page has changed
The goal configuration has changed

Something new on the page/site is interfering with the tracking

People are no longer making the action that triggers the event

The type of visitor to the page has changed 

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Try installing the "Google Tag Assistant" for Chrome, then use it on the page(s) in question.  It will tell you if your tags are operating properly. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello @RobSkelton

Here are the answers that I have from webmasters:

- Didn't make any change in the code (ported from previous website version)

- Goals configuration haven't changed (I personally checked that)

- Seems that an older code is interfering in the conversion tracking. I completely forgot to use the Tag Assistant, but thanks to @Steve B suggestion I took a look and found some error

- We are tracking conversions and there's a considerable % of new users that are not coming from other campaigns, so I believe people are converting from the page, but the tracking issue is affecting this

- We haven't made any campaign to new users, so is almost impossible to have a change in user type so fast (less than a month)

Many thanks for the feedback!