AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Lost Impression Share - Rank

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am running a campaign that is running very well but one of my top performing keywords is getting 25% impressions lost due to rank and I am not sure how to improve this.

My quality score is 10/10 and all the quality statistics are running "above average". My bid is also higher than the estimated first page bid and top page bid. What is going wrong? How could I get more impressions on this keyword?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance!

Patricia

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Patricia!

Quality score is measured on exact match. So it's likely that your keyword is a very good fit for the exact match, but less for phrase/broad/modifier.  Also, bidding is crucial for rank. you can have 10/10 and still loose rank due to low bidding.

So my suggestion is to use more exact terms and raise the bidding to gain higher search impression share.

Good Luck!

Elad <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines. Please do not include self-promotional links in your posts.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

This signals a strong competition (intense?)  competition. In those cases I would recommend to increase the bid further 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Elad,

What you have posted here is not exactly true. The QS you see in the AdWords UI is based on exact match. But QS is recalculated each and every time it is used or displayed. The rest of your post is good.

My suggestion here is to review search terms reports then add keywords or negative keywords as appropriate, along with suggestions from Elad and Moshe.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Lost Impression Share - Rank

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@petebardo wrote:

Hey Elad,

What you have posted here is not exactly true. The QS you see in the AdWords UI is based on exact match. But QS is recalculated each and every time it is used or displayed. The rest of your post is good. 

Hey Pete, Thanks for noticing that. Am I wrong to think that keyword [x]'s quality score will not be affected from the search term: "X Y"?

According to: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/140351?hl=en
"Quality Score is an aggregated estimate of your overall performance in ad auctions, and is not used at auction time to determine Ad Rank."

In that case, Patricia may have a broad or phrase match keyword that's getting a 10/10 quality score for the exact match search term, but other terms, triggered by the phrase/broad match type don't have that quality score. For that reason, the rank at the time of auction (of phrase/broad) is low . (if she would have changed the match type to exact, the rank was higher)

Pete, Please correct me if I'm wrong about it. It's a pretty interesting subject that I would love to learn more about!

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Elad <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines. Please do not include self-promotional links in your posts.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Elad,

I took a look at the link, and followed the link there. It's just another way of saying QS is calculated each and every time it is used or displayed. It's saying the QS you see in the UI is an aggregate, based on exact match. The QS you see in the UI is not the same as the QS used in an actual auction.

So, yes, the QS for broad and phrase match will be different at the time of the auction. Low QS can be mitigated by running Search Terms reports and adding either negative matches for low performing queries or more restrictive match types for higher performing queries and raising the bid somewhat.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords