2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Loss of impressions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi advertisers, I have a campaign that I am managing where there are a lot of broad match keywords. For the month of September I got about half the impressions compared to the month of August. What can the explanation for this be? Quality score is great to acceptable all around (between 6-10) for all the keywords. There were a few negative keywords added, but nothing so substantial as to justify getting a halving in impressions. Any advice?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Loss of impressions

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Raymond-Smit,

There are many reasons this could happen. A few of them would be:

• Daily budget continually ran out in the past. 
  • Budget set to low or spread too thin.
  • Another campaign in your account is better served.
  • Quality of ad.
  • Seasonal business/change in customer behavior.
  • Negative keywords were being utilized more than you realized.
  • AdWords has a better understanding of your broad match keywords.
  • Keywords have gone stale. 

What we generally do when this happens is dig into the account and look over everything (ads, keywords, landing pages, campaign settings, placements, etc.) for issues. Keep in mind that there is a performance curve whereas we start at zero, then it raises & dips while it climbs, then then it peaks out and start to trend downward. Set your date range to cover a year or the duration of the campaign and see if your campaign has peaked or is in a climbing or declining trend. 

We also shake things up by adding in more targeting methods while adding in some new ads and keywords. 

Kind Regards,

James

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Raymond,

Are your keywords according to seasonality, the search trend seems to be different week over week and month over month , due to which you are seeing change in impressions, try to add more keywords, so your impressions loss would be compared.

Also check if negatives are blocking your traffic and check campaign setting or mobile bid adjustment if any that has happened

Regards,
Manish

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

hi Raymond

have you made any changes to the adwords account? Maybe the reason is because of customer behavior and season change.

Regards,

Zaby

My Site

Loss of impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Raymond-Smit,

Any luck figuring this out since you posted last week? We're seeing some similar behavior.

Andy

Loss of impressions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Andy, not quite, I think the problem is adrank. Because the changes in a starting QS of 6 - new keywords and ads struggle to compete to get to their true quality score. I do not know of an easy solution ... you must just have an aggressive starting bid and as you get a better QS decrease bids again.