AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Losing Data Upon Updating Destination URLs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a two part question.

I understand that when destination URLs are changed at the creative level we lose our data. It's essentially reset. Do advertisers also lose their data when making edits to the desitnation URL at the keyword level? I ask as I still see my data upon making edits to my keyword destination URLs, but not at the creative level. 

The second part of the question is: 

If your data is in fact reset by updating the desination URL at the keyword level, is the data reset without exception? - Meaning will the data be reset regardless if you're just adding some tracking paramenters to the destination URLs or directing traffic to a completly new landing page? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RBall (Participant ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Losing Data Upon Updating Destination URLs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi EugeneB,

When you change the destination URL at the keyword level, it does not reset your stats. When you change it at the ad level, it does reset your stats, and has the effect of deleting the old ad a creating a new one. Stats from before the change are still available under the deleted ad.

BEst of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RBall (Participant ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi EugeneB,

When you change the destination URL at the keyword level, it does not reset your stats. When you change it at the ad level, it does reset your stats, and has the effect of deleting the old ad a creating a new one. Stats from before the change are still available under the deleted ad.

BEst of Luck!

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does this apply even if only changing a parameter? 

Say I have ?parameter1=object1 and I change it to ?parameter1=object2.. the Dest URL really hasn't changed at all and is still sending the user to the same page with the same experience.. is data reset then too??

Josh

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Beth,

Yes it still applies. To Google, that's a new destination.

The only time it does not apply is when you add a keyword level destination URL. In that case, the keyword is not deleted and added as new and the data stays in tact.

You won't lose your data. It will still be available under the deleted ad. Select "Show All" to see the deleted ads.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What if I only need to ad an backslash to the end of my destination URL in the Ad? Will this still remove my history on the ad?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Yes Paul, changing any element in your FInal URL will make it a new URL for AdWords.
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"