1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Long Tail Phrase vs Exact

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Say I have a word such as "top widget replacement contractor mexico" that gets traffic. Is there any benefit to me for making it exact? If I left it in the adgroup as a phrase, I would not be worried what word is added to the beginning or the end of that phrase. I keep hearing that everyone should exact match their winning phrases, but in instances like this, I see no reason to.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris H
February 2016

Re: Long Tail Phrase vs Exact

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Chris H

Based on the scenario you've described there would be no benefit. Drilling down exact out of a phrase is generally done for bid variation purposes. 

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Chris H;

An exact match is  usually the "wining keyword" because  most advertisers will bid the highest on exact match. Further, if two keywords compete, (assuming having the same bid, and the same QS)  - the more exact keyword will be matched to the keyboard. 

However, if another match type of yours, is frequently  matched to the keyword and trigger the ad (since, for example, it has a higher QS or you bid higher, and the result is a high ad-rank  for this keyword) - you should keep it as is.

I hope this clarifies  a bit the complex topic of which keyword will trigger the ad if several keywords match the search query.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris H
February 2016

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Chris H

Based on the scenario you've described there would be no benefit. Drilling down exact out of a phrase is generally done for bid variation purposes.