1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Logic behind low-quality start ups in new AdWords Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can anyone explain to me why Google AdWords decides to asign a QS of 2 ( or 3)  to almost all keywords when I start up a campaign ? (doesn't happen all the time, but it does some times on new acounts)

I do understand they want me to "prove"  myself first but with a QS of 2 I don't have a fair chance to do so.

A more average Q score of 4-5 would be much more appropriate. Especially since they say  it is based on the performance of  the keyword in Google AdWords in the past and by competitors.

A QS of 2 sometimes even request a bid of 4 EUR to be shown ! 

Now why should I be paying/bidding such large amounts just because that keyword did not perform well in the past ( by my comptitors !!)  This whole QS 2-3 "Slap" thing seems verry unfair, and one would start to think it is only a way to grow income in a unnatural way.  

With the assumed treshold of 1000-1500 views before I get my own QS I could have been waisting xxx EUR juste because ..... ??

Of course I would like an complete all revealing answer by a AdWords Googler , but I am also verry interested in your (TCs and  visitors) opinions on this matter.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Logic behind low-quality start ups in new AdWords Campaigns

Top Contributor
# 16
Top Contributor

Re-posting via web interface what did not arrive via e-mail

======================
You're right, in theory it's AdRank. But given your "below average" message I suspect the CTR component of your QS is affected.

Sure, some of those 3-4 guys may also be bidding much higher than you are, as well, but your QS of 3 and below average messages are indications that you should work on CTR and what was the other, ad relevance? (replying via e-mail now, I don't have the whole thread handy).

Get the sitelinks to show, get your CTR higher and it should work.
======================
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello piet,

Every advertising model work with some hypothesis and of course some algorithm based on it. Talking in the same sense, Adwords work around this very important metric called Quality Score.

If majority of the times, your keywords have a low QS of 2 or 3 to start with, chances are that those keywords were not properly utilized by other advertisers in the past. You are right when you say this to some extent. But Adwords work on the quality system and not quantity system as far as I have seen while handling clients from many business segments.

I would ask you why are you running those keywords for which QS is 2 or 3 if you are not willing to increase the bid for them? If there is no ROI, no good CTR for those keywords, why don't you simply pause them and try some another variants of them?

Experimentation is the real key in Adwords system. I am not saying that you will not be able to improve the Quality Score, but while working this way, you could also try and include different variation of your keywords so that there is an improvement in CTR and later some hope of uplift in terms of QS too. And to do this it is vital to review Search Terms Report on regular basis.

Another good part is to work hard on CTR i.e. try to include keywords in any match type which matches exactly with the user's search query. This would be very essential step to increase your Quality Score of the keywords. Remember relevancy is the key and if your keyword is exactly matching the search query, that means you are moving in a right direction.

Just few of my thoughts!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A few remarks /Questions :

But Adwords work on the quality system and not quantity system as far as I have seen while handling clients from many business segments.

Rumour has it that AdWords is only asigning the proper  QS after 1000-1500 views. If you have a relatively high CTR (and low QS, and High CPC)  this system can cost you a fortune before you get the right QS.

I would ask you why are you running those keywords for which QS is 2 or 3 if you are not willing to increase the bid for them? If there is no ROI, no good CTR for those keywords, why don't you simply pause them and try some another variants of them? etc.

For one particular account I did all that , pauze bad performing keywords, add negatives, use "" and [] and +, CTRs'of 5% + Average pos. 2 - 4, Costs 4 !! EURO per click. For serveral months the QS stayed around 2-3 and are now 4-5. Views per keyword around 500 upto 2000.

Landing page was/is getting Average, Expexted CTR below Average, Ad Relevance Average or Below Average.

AdWords representatives keep saying notting is wrong with the landingpage nor the account, and time will heal. But it takes to much time (and money)

I did see some post about other Accounts/campaigns that start out with a QS of 2-3. (in this and other forums) and the given advice is always to improve your CTR. But with such parameters it is very hard to improve, there is some limmit to the max CTR I believe.

BTW in the opprtunities tab- competition- are some wrong businesses/ mentiond (reported) but the ones that did fit all were all above 50 % for CTR.

Comments are welcome

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again,

Rumour has it that AdWords is only asigning the proper  QS after 1000-1500 views. If you have a relatively high CTR (and low QS, and High CPC)  this system can cost you a fortune before you get the right QS.

I don't believe in rumours Smiley Happy

But it's true that once you create the campaigns and start accumulating data (there are no definite numbers I believe), Adwords will change the values of Quality Score depending upon various factors which will be specific to your account. Most important is that QS is dynamic in nature and not static, so there are chances of improvement as well as falling down.

There is no defined time period that you will see improvement in Quality Score. Everytime a user enters the query, Adwords system matches it with the relevant keyword inside your account and then dynamically assigns a Quality Score to your keywords.

As I said above, you have to keep working hard to improve on CTR. This can only be achieved if you are regularly montoring the account, adding irrelevant ones as negatives, finding relevant terms for inclusion as keywords etc....

Lastly, I would strongly encourage you to read a very popular thread by Googler Tanmay on Quality Score here. It covers many aspects and is worth reading.

There is another user article written by TC Theresa which explains about Quality Score here.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

piet wrote:

Landing page was/is getting Average, Expexted CTR below Average, Ad Relevance Average or Below Average.

AdWords representatives keep saying notting is wrong with the landingpage nor the account, and time will heal. But it takes to much time (and money)

Hold it right there Smiley Happy.

There are enough hints in the paragraph above. Ad relevance below average? Not good when you're trying to save money. You need to write better ads. Expected CTR below average? Essentially the same thing: your ads are not getting clicks. And they're not getting clicks because they are not attractive to your potential website visitors, not in sync with the searches or both.

Try to write better ads, start with very few keywords per ad group and tight matches, make sure the keywords are in the ads, use sitelinks and try to bid high enough to go in the top 1-3 positions. Maybe if your ads are good enough your CTR will be higher than the expected boost given by a higher position (Google does factor out the effect of a higher CTR due "solely" to higher bidding causing a higher position) and your QS will start increasing, thus decreasing CTR.

But you need to be careful, and you do need to spend some money before you get those higher positions. And you may not be able to get those clicks, if there's no match between the search query intent and the ad's message.

Also, if those keywords have generated enough search volume, you should be able to see Auction Insights, and see who's beating you (which advertisers). Then you can go to the Ad Preview Tool and see precisely what ads they're using, and you can try to create even more enticing ads.

I for one am really flattered to see that after dominating the scene for one-two particular keywords there are two much bigger companies not just copying that ad, but also turning it into an organic title Smiley Happy. And they did that because they saw the ad(s) popping in #1 for months and months.

On the other hand, I clearly know where I'm pushing my luck, bidding on more general terms and serving specific ads which do not mention any discount or sale. And there I clearly do not get high quality scores or low CPC because I'm advertising .. let's say "plasma TVs" and I'm selling "really high end plasma TVs". But I'm aware of that and it's all budgeted. That's because it's pretty hard to offer oranges when people are searching for fruits in general. If that's your case as well, you have to either decide to keep going knowing that you can't get too high (or have those clicks too cheap) or align your ads with the queries and make them get those clicks.

Good luck, there's hope once you nail the cause.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Lastly, I would strongly encourage you to read a very popular thread by Googler Tanmay on Quality Score here. It covers many aspects and is worth reading.

There is another user article written by TC Theresa which explains about Quality Score here.

I know the recipe, but it feels like Google shut off the gas.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I did copy 'n past, but CTR went down so I stopped that.

(And all the keywords are 2 -3 word terms)

The Main Questions Remain: Do you think it is fair you have to pay extra because the historical QS on a keyword is low ?

2nd Can anyone confirm the non excitence of the exact or approx. treshold for views before the real QS kicks in ?

As I said, in the opportunity-competition tab CTR is valued in the higher regions, abvove 50% , most even 70-90%

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Ok, but what do the Auction Insights say?

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2579754

As for your second question: there actually is a threshold of about 1000 exact match impressions (search queries identical to the keyword, regardless of used match type) until the effect of the average historical keyword performance fades out and the QS is a reflection of the keyword's performance in your account.

Fair or unfair and paying extra? You don't pay extra, you pay what others in your situation pay as well, until they prove their worth. Google's ad space is limited, and once the algorithm detects that it uses the ad space without making any profit (no clicks), it decides to make you pay quite a lot if you insist on advertising for that keyword, with those match types and those ads. If your performance degrades even further (CTR-wise), you may discover that the QS is too low for you to get your ads shown.

Let's say you own a huge parking lot, and you allow people to rent some space so they can sell their cars. You charge them a certain small fixed amount, plus a commission of the sale. All BMWs and Audis get sold quickly, and you make nice commissions, and al Fords and Dodges Smiley Happy stay there forever. After a while, when a new Ford owner comes along, are you willing to let him pay the fixed fee alone, or would you rather charge him something extra, knowing that the chances to see a sales commission are small? However, if you see, after a while, that this particular Ford salesman knows what he's doing, and he sells, unlike the others, you may be convinced to get back to a regular fixed fee and a sales commission.

I agree that things are not exactly the same in the AdWords auction, but this is the closest example I could come up with.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

http://imageshack.us/homepage/?user=piet1990

Ok two sample words. The difference is pural  like "broker amsterdam"  and "brokers amsterdam"

1 has 4/10 other 3/10

top 4 competitors are the same

nr. 1 has Expt CTR A, Ad rel. A, Landinpage A

other has Expt CTR BA, Ad rel. BA, Landing page A

both wel 1200 views

Curious wht you can tell me. 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Checked the QS. 40 words in 3 ad groups