5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm new to Adwords and stumped by this issue and how to fix it. I live in Colchester CT and am trying to get a keyword to work when someone searches for "Colchester Optometrist".  The issue is when I put that keyword in it tells me "The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: Colchester, England, United Kingdom."

I have already targeted my location and excluded all of England so i'm not sure why it is linking it to that geographic location and not my local location.  Is there any way to remedy this?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Nick

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nicholas W
May 2016

Re: Location

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Nicholas, how are things?

If you have everything configured properly, you don't need to worry about that message.

When the user query include location Google will use that to determine whether or not your ad will show for that specific region, even if the user is not there physically, but this will only happen if your campaign settings allow it.

If you don't want to show your ads anywhere other then Colchester CT, make sure to target "Colchester CT" on your segmentation, and to select "People in my targeted location" under the Advanced Location options, like below, and you're good to go Smiley Happy

Animation.gif

Hope this helps.

_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Nicholas W

If you've excluded all of England as a location and added England as a negative keyword, you should be good to go. Sometimes in Adwords the wrong error message can appear, and even when one shouldn't be appearing at all.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your time and effort, I appreciate it!

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Nicholas W

I'd be cautious about using the "people in targeted location" only setting. You're going to potentially miss out on mobile users who don't enable GPS, people on corporate networks, vpns, and people who live in Colchester but the head-in of their ISP is not.  Colchester is a small place and the smaller the area you define, the less accurate geo-location is with the exception of GPS.  Something worth at least testing.