AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Location targeting settings for a Job PPC campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on how to setup a PPC campaign for a Job based in London.

Here was my setup:

Campaign 1 - Targeting London as a location (and advanced location targeting options set to include my target location and exclude any locations entered).

Keywords:  IT job, IT jobs, etc. 

Campaign 2 - Targeting all locations (London is excluded as a location). 

Keywords: IT job in London, IT jobs in London, etc.

I realise there are some issues with using the above setup - eg people based in London (which has a huge population) will still be searching for jobs outside of London eg "IT jobs in China". It's likely that the only way to avoid this is by using exact match keywords for Campaign 1. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how they'd setup the campaign? I think the only relevant info is that the job is based in London. The main reason for setting up the campaign like above is that I imagine a lot of users, when searching for job opportunities, don't always include a location in their search query.

Appreciate any advice, thanks!

Re: Location targeting settings for a Job PPC campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Matt, if this is a local for London, then your settings are off. 

If it's local to London, and you only want London-ites to apply, then this is not the setup you want.

• 1 Campaign: "IT Job Ads"
  • Location Setting: People in my targeted location
  • Targeting: London

That's it. You'll capture traffic from people in London who are searching for IT jobs.

If you wanted to capture people who LIVE in London, but might be out of London at the moment, then you would want to select "and advanced location targeting options set to include my target location and exclude any locations entered"

If you wanted to prevent your ads from showing for people who live in London, but are searching for things like "IT Jobs in China", then you'll want to add negative keywords, like "China", international, Asia, etc..

Cheers I hope this helps!