2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Location targeting problems via radius selection

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - I am using location targeting via a radius selection, but it does not seem to work very well.  However the specific areas that I want to target are not available via postcode either.  What should I do?  The adjacent areas are all available via postcode, but I cannot find my area either by postcode or by neighbourhood name.  Please help!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location targeting problems via radius selection

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
You are correct; Geo-targeting by radius is not always  accurate, and, in general, Geo-targeting is not perfect, due to technical issues  to clearly locate a user's Geo location;
A "workaround" could be to add the location as part of the keyword;
What country are you targeting? Based on that, we can tell the level of Geo targeting that can be achieved in this specific location;

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe -

I am in the UK. I am targeting specific parts of London (e.g., the most central parts of London such as Marylebone and Mayfair) - however, the W1 Postcode is not an option to target, nor are particular neighbourhood names. I do add the location as part of the keyword, but it hasn't been effective.

Contrast this with another neighbourhood, adjacent to Mayfair and Marylebone that I am targeting - where the actual postcode is an option, and my clicks are about 30x higher than in Mayfair and Marylebone.

I imagine the only way to get this to work properly is to get the W1, WC1, WC2 postcodes listed?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ohh....Targeting  midtown  London..That's not easy; Smiley Surprised

In the UK, you cannot target by postal code.  If some postal codes listed, I doubt  it, technically, would work.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoXclFw9v2cWdEtuZUJPY1dhR0RmQ2tvZkxPeVMxT1E#gid=0

However; one of our UK based Top Contributors, Jon ( aka @Jon_Gritton ), is more experienced on this. I will ping him.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think you can actually. In fact, in an adjacent neighbourhood, I am targeting SW3, SW5, SW7 and they work like a charm. Part of my target area here is SW1A, which also works here. But the vast majority of my target area is not postcode-defined, rendering google ad words bit useless for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi William, yes, you can choose most UK postcodes as targets but not, it would seem, W1.  I'd wager this is simply too small a target to be effective or efficient - although that's just a guess.  As Moshe has indicated, the ability to select postcodes for the UK is a relatively new feature and it's equally possible these smaller areas simply haven't been included yet.

I would caution that the "targeting by postcode" is not physically targeting people by their address, but rather a geographic area roughly conforming to the outcode (the "outcode" is the first part of a postcode) and geographical targeting becomes increasingly less precise the smaller the area you try to target.

Can you tell us something more about your business and the reasons for targeting such a small, precise area?  We may be able to offer some alternatives.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Ohh... That's new:  Geo- targeting the UK using  postal code. 

The ocumentation has to be updated to reflect that...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jon -

Thanks for your note. Whilst the W1 postcode is small by land area, it is very populous and also includes some of London's most famous neighborhoods, including Soho, Marylebone and Mayfair. I run a local food delivery business that operates in specific London neighborhoods. Our delivery radius tends to run from 1 to 2 km, so thus we want to have very specific targeting for our customers.

Adjacent postcodes that are already include SW1A and W2. SW1A is actually a subset of SW1. Please advise with some alternatives. Right now, I am getting basically no clicks at all, but my adjacent campaign is highly successful.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi William, I'm actually quite familiar with London - I was born there and worked in SW1A for many years Smiley Happy

Location targeting very small areas is quite imprecise and can be difficult to get right.  Your original post mentions radius targeting and this would really have been my approach in your situation.  The problem with radius targeting - with targeting small areas full stop - is that AdWords really isn't that precise.  Although location targeting can use a variety of methods, one of the most common is IP address lookup and that can indicate a position that's quite a long way from where the user actually is.  Another method uses data from a users' Google Account but only works if they are logged in, and in the case of central London it's quite possible the user Account address information is where they live, not where they work.

You say the radius targeting didn't work very well.  Can you elaborate?  Was the problem with raw clicks or results, or something else?

I presume you have a Places Account set up for your business?  This can be a good way to target a physical store and Location extensions on your Ads can be used to provide radius targeting around your actual store location.  You might also want to consider mobile Ads which can, in the right circumstances, be much more precise.

Location extensions

Mobile (and desktop) targeting

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again Jon. The radius targeting (I have chosen 2 miles of Oxford Circus) does not appear to work - I have had a minimum number of clicks and impressions over the last month. In addition, I work 200m from Oxford Circus and cannot see the ad when I type in keywords, nor can a number of others who work/live around the area.

We do not have a physical store location, as we are a online logistics service. so location extensions probably does not work.

I believe if the user types in "Marylebone food delivery" that should work regardless of location-targeting? Although I may be wrong. I basically want "food delivery" to target within the 2 miles around Oxford Circus, but "Marylebone food delivery" should work whereever, however I don't think that is the case right.

Thanks again