2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Location or Placement Bid adjustment in CPA campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I have a display network campaign that I am running on CPA for last 5 months. The campaign is more than 1.5 years old. It is my best performing campaign in terms of Conversions and CPA. I noticed that for few locations CPA is higher and for few locations it is lower than the set CPA. I would like to scale more and increase conversions on this campaign. Similar thing I am noticing in placements as well. My question is can I introduce location bid adjustments and would it be ok to introduce any bid adjustment over CPA setting? I am fearing that if I introduce any settings top of CPA then it will affect the past CPA history and my campaign might behave weird. Can anyone please help me?

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ashish D
September 2015

Re: Location or Placement Bid adjustment in CPA campaign

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Thats the point i want to say that underperforming placements are eating up
the changes of already performing and new placements.

If the underperforming placements are excluded then your CPA will go down
and Adwords will try to increase the position on performing placements.

Does that make sense to you?

Abhishek

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
I don't think so Ashish , you can check the next URL that prove my claim under the address requirement for bid adjustment:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ashis, 

I want to repeat what it was written before, but with a clear quote From here : About Conversion Optimizer

"At this time, the following AdWords features aren't compatible with Conversion Optimizer:

• Separate Display Network bids. Conversion Optimizer automatically optimizes your bids across the Search and Display Networks.
  • All types of bid adjustments, except mobile device bid adjustments of -100%. Conversion Optimizer automatically accounts for differences in conversion rates across devices, days, times, and locations. Because bid adjustments are already built into the technology that Conversion Optimizer uses, it’s not necessary to set separate adjustments. If you've set bid adjustments for campaigns using Conversion Optimizer, they won't be applied to your bids - which means you don't need to remove them." 

As a conclusion with your setup for CPA you can only exclude mobile traffic with the -100 % for mobiles.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Ashis,
Unfortunately all types of bid adjustment are not available with conversion optimizer except mobile device bid adjustments of -100%.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ashsish
I am not 100% sure that location bidding adjustments work for CPA bidding as it don't work for day parting.
If the feature is not available and some particular locations are performing beyond your thresholds limits than i recommend you that you should exclude those location from the current campaign and make a particular new campaign targeting to those location only. This will also help you make your campaign history better in order to let the CPA bidding works more efficiently.

Same goes with the placements, exclude the placements where CPA is beyond your thresholds and targeting them again in managed placements is totally upto you. Excluding under performing placements will let Adwords system to give change to new placements which may perform better then than the excluded ones.

Hope this helps!

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Abhishek,

Thank you for replying. I really do not want to exclude the placements or locations because they are still giving me conversions, but at a higher CPA, rather first I am looking for scaling the conversion numbers up and thinking of increasing the exposure on better performing placements or locations in my CPA campaigns.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Ahmed.

Yesterday, I spoke with a Google's account strategist, she said location bid adjustment is possible in CPA campaign. But, I am not sure how my campaign will perform if I make this change. That's why I am looking answers.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Thats the point i want to say that underperforming placements are eating up
the changes of already performing and new placements.

If the underperforming placements are excluded then your CPA will go down
and Adwords will try to increase the position on performing placements.

Does that make sense to you?

Abhishek
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
I don't think so Ashish , you can check the next URL that prove my claim under the address requirement for bid adjustment:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Ashish,

I agree with Abhishek and Ahmed Smiley Happy conversion optimizer does accept any bid modifier except -100% for mobile devices. As conversion optimizer works on the basis of your past campaigns performance and optimize your campaigns with respect to current competition, quality score or some other external factor like users location, time, and build predictive models and placed your ads to potential users, who are likely to be convert.

So it does not accept any manual setting, that affects its model. For example:- Conversion optimizers already calculates the day parting, when campaigns will likely to give conversions. Similarly it considers location in same way.

For more info. how CPA campaigns work, I would like to suggest to read the below article :-

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Determine-Bid-Strategy-Based-on-Your-Conversio...
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ashis, 

I want to repeat what it was written before, but with a clear quote From here : About Conversion Optimizer

"At this time, the following AdWords features aren't compatible with Conversion Optimizer:

• Separate Display Network bids. Conversion Optimizer automatically optimizes your bids across the Search and Display Networks.
  • All types of bid adjustments, except mobile device bid adjustments of -100%. Conversion Optimizer automatically accounts for differences in conversion rates across devices, days, times, and locations. Because bid adjustments are already built into the technology that Conversion Optimizer uses, it’s not necessary to set separate adjustments. If you've set bid adjustments for campaigns using Conversion Optimizer, they won't be applied to your bids - which means you don't need to remove them." 

As a conclusion with your setup for CPA you can only exclude mobile traffic with the -100 % for mobiles.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Oops its typo mistake with mobile device.

"conversion optimizer does not accept any bid modifier except -100% for mobile devices. "
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’