3.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Location and Language Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys, I am a bit confused regarding language and location targeting. My client has a new hotel website and wants a Search only campaign. She asked me to target more than 20 cities around the world (Paris, London, Zurich, New York and so on). Do I need to create 20+ ad groups targeting each city (taking into consideration that my ad and keywords will be in English)?

In addition, since my ad is solely in English (keywords, text ad and landing page) can I simply target "all languages"? If users, whose User Interface Language is set to a language other than English, search for my keywords, will they still view my ad? When it comes to language, what is the best practice?

Thank you all in advance, I would really appreciate your help!

Best,

Polina 

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Polina D
March

Re: Location and Language Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Polina D the very best practice when dealing with languages is to target specific languages and then use Keywords, Ads and landing pages that match that language.  So, if you want to target Paris, you should have a Campaign with the language as French, French Keywords triggering Ads in French and leading to a landing page in French.  That's the ideal situation.  However, English is so commonplace on the Net that you may be able to get away with using English language in some locations and a lot depends upon who your client wants to target.  For example, for the hotel in Paris, are they targeting people outside of France who want to stay in a hotel in Paris, or people in France who want to visit Paris?

Note that language settings are at the Campaign level, as are location targets, so you're looking at at least 20 Campaigns, not Ad Groups, and I'd suggest you may want a Campaign for each type of visitor - in country and out of country, so at least 40 probably, maybe more.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

"Do I need to create 20+ ad groups targeting each city"

No. Location targeting happens at the campaign level of the account. You can target all your locations with one campaign.

"In addition, since my ad is solely in English (keywords, text ad and landing page) can I simply target "all languages"?"

Sure, but... If they are searching for English language terms, then odds are they speak/read English. If the end user doesn't speak/read English, all of your content is in English, and you are only targeting English language terms, then they are not in your target market. 

The market is so large, and the competition is so great, odds are you won't have enough budget to reach the entire audience you are trying to target. The broader your targeting, the more difficult it will be to find out what works for you.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Jon_Gritton and @tomhalejr, thank you both for your prompt replies and valuable help. These are great answers.

However, since my client's website is in English only, I suppose its not a smart option to target for instance French speaking users with French keywords as the landing page will be in a different language (isn't this a bad experience for the user???).

This is the case: My client rents luxury private villas in Greek islands for summer vacation. So I want to target -affluent- cities around the world (such as Zurich, Paris, Bern, Washington etc) and the odds are that these people will be searching in English, right? (e.g. private villas in Mykonos) 

So, wouldn't be fine to create just one campaign targeting these cities and set "all languages" - considering that their User Interface Language is set to a language other than English? I do understand that with this practice, I might loose some potential customers who will be searching in their own language (e.g. German/Turkish etc). 

Sorry for all these questions, I really appreciate your help as this is my first Adwords Campaign. 

Best, 

Polina

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Well... I'm a bit late here....

You are assuming that users in Zurich and Paris or Berlin run / conduct their search for a (vacation)  villa in Mykonos in English...  I question this assumption. I would run 4 campaigns, for the 4 major languages spoken in Europe: English, French, German  and Italian.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’