AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Location Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I have a question that likely has an easy answer, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. How do I avoid my ad showing for certain location search terms? I run the AdWords account for a laboratory in California. I don't want may ads to only show for searchers in California, however I do not want my ads to show when someone searches "analytical lab in chicago" as an example. 

I would appreciate any help with this and apologize for the dumb question.

Thanks much,

Joe

Re: Location Targeting

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

(Edit - mis read the question)

Under location Targeting.

Add all the locations you want to show for
Exclude or REMOVE all the Locations you don't want to show for, 

make sure the Advanced setting also is the default:

Exclude
People in, searching for, or who show interest in my excluded location
Edit

Also include negative Keywords for cities and states (as well  as the state abbreviations) for all location you do not want to appear.   Check your GA or AW Search Query Reports to find out the actual keyword search terms being used, and add negative keywords to exclude further impressions or clicks from irrelevant keywords.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
I think this won't work in Joe case.
The better way is to create campaign negative keywords list with city names.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Joe,

I read your post a few times and I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying:
You want to target people looking for a lab in California and you want to target those people whether they are in or outside of California, however, you don't want to show up for people looking for labs outside of California. Is that correct?

If so, you should target California and then go to the advanced location settings and select "people in *or* searching for my targeted location". This will allow you to target people that are in California and anyone that indicates that they are interested in a California lab even if they aren't in California. Then, like Eric said, you should exclude People in, searching for, or who show interest in my excluded location. This will allow you to exclude people who are looking for 'Chicago labs' even if they are in California.

Also like Eric & Thomas have said, I still suggest adding negatives for other locations because sometimes they can still slip through. After you have let the campaigns run for awhile, you can pull a geographic report and add a 'physical location' column to see if people were *in* or *searching for* California. If you find that one or the other doesn't perform as well, then you can update your settings accordingly.

Hope this helps! Like I said, let me know if I've misunderstood your question!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Joe,

Solution for this issue is very simple please apply following steps.

1. Select location targeting California.

2. Location options (advanced) -> Select

Target -> People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location

Exclude -> People in, searching for, or who show interest in my excluded location

3. Add all state as a broad negative keywords example: chicago, florida.....etc except California.

• I am not recommended Exclude all the Locations you don't want to show your ads because your ads will disappear from excluded locations for all keywords.

Apply this idea and see the result......

Thanks,

Pavan