AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Location Targeting and Location Options - How does AdWords' brain work?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Here's a situation where I'm trying to understand location targeting and location options settings.

1. I have a campaign targeting Tampa Bay Nielsen region

2. Location settings are set to People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location

So I would think that someone searching anywhere in the world for  "my keywords + tampa bay" could be targeted. Or is this not true? I assume Adwords would show ads more heavily to people in Tampa and that's where the bulk of traffic is coming from, but should I not expect to be shown when Tampa is in the keyword from other locations in the US/world. I thought this was the effect of "who show interest in" in the setting above. This is what is explained in this help doc:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

If not, then I guess I would need to create another campaign targeting US and the world to target these searches.

Input much appreciated Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@WebEminence;

When a user adds a location to a search terms this mean that the users shows interest in this location (aka search by intent)  regardless of the user physical location. ( He could be in  California or in the UK). Hence the user is considered as a user  shows intent  of the service in this region (e.g. Tampa bay),  and all keywords matched the search query are eligible  take part in the auction. Which keywords actually win the auction - this is a different ball game.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Sure - that's what I thought. One more note that I should have included in my post. When I go to Ad Preview & Diagnosis and do a search for a keyword I'm targeting and set the location to some other state in the US, it says the ad is not displaying because "Your ads are set to show only to users in the locations you've chosen"

This doesn't match up with my Location Options setting right? One thought I had, maybe I should add Tampa (the city) rather than the larger Tampa Nielsen region? I would think Adwords is smart enough to match these up but maybe not.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

>>"set the location to some other state in the US,"...

This is a bit confusing: the location you a should set  (as a targeted  location) in the ad-preview tool is the targeted Geo region (Tamp Bay): the targeted location is the region people are physically  in, and people  search about  (even if physically they are in a different state).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm pretty sure that's not right. The targeted location is already set in the campaign itself to Tampa. The Location setting in the Ad Preview tool is for previewing search results. So if I put Charlotte (North Carolina), it performs a search as if I'm in Charlotte. That's the point of the tool.

I did just figure something out though. If I put "tampa fl" or "tampa florida", it triggers my ad. But it doesn't work for just "tampa". I tested other cities like "clearwater" without "fl" or "florida"

The plot thickens... any ideas why it can't figure out "tampa"? I did add Tampa (the city) in my campaign settings in addition to the Nielsen region .

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Quoting the ad-preview tool help:

>>"Change any of the other settings (location, language, device) as needed. If you’ve targeted your ad to a certain language, location or device, you’ll need to specify this information to preview your ad.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704363

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

OK, but I've essentially targeted the entire world IF they are interested in Tampa as in "tampa bus tours" (for example). So I can set the Location to anything and as long as I include Tampa in the search term in the preview tool, it should show my ad. I'm already passed this though as you see in my last comment. I confirmed your initial statement is not true. The location you set in the ad preview tool is essentially the location you want to test searching FROM. So this represents the location the imaginary test searcher is physically IN.

So I can select Charlotte, NC as the Location I'm searching from in the Ad Preview Tool, then put in "tampa bus tours" as the search and my ad SHOULD show up. It works for "tampa FL bus tours", but not "tampa bus tours". So Adwords isn't considering the searcher "interested in" Tampa for all searches when someone includes "tampa" in the search. Strange...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

No. The system is much more sophisticated than that. "Tampa bus Tours" is not showing intent - it's a  business name. But "daily tour bus in Tampa" does show intent.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - that they are measuring intent with word order, past searches from searcher and other searchers, etc. I've tested many variations. (I'm not actually using "bus tours" myself but using that as an example here). For example:

DOES NOT TRIGGER AD:

tampa bus tours

bus tour tampa

tampa bus tour

TRIGGERS AD

bus tours tampa

bus tour in tampa

I think you're right about some terms sounding like a business name and sometimes they are literally the name of a local business. Bottom line for me is - I need to create another campaign with a US or worldwide geo-target and add these specific keywords as exact match. That should give me a better chance of showing rather than relying on the "Interested In" location setting to match to a search term.

Thanks for the insights, Moshe!