AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Location Targeting and Keyword Question

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I use location targeting to only include, for instance, Springfield.  Would I also include Springfield in my keywords ie. Springfield Comic Book Store or is that pretty much redundant ? Would I just use the keyword Comic Book Store and not worry about Springfield as this is only where my ad will be shown ? Are there any advantages to using Springfield in my keywords ?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location Targeting and Keyword Question

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kathy H,

Welcome,

Please follow the thread below.The same thing is already discussed here..
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/do-i-need-to-put-my-location-in-my-keyword...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Kathy,

As per my understanding, you can think about couple of options here:-

1. Use advanced location targeting settings and select people in your physical location and then choose the generic keywords and not the regional keywords for that campaign.

2, Use advanced location targeting and select location of interest option. But this option should be choosen for the location outside of Springfield, for example some neighboring cities where there are chances of getting business for you. Then in this campaign, you should be adding regional keywords like Springfield Comic Book Store etc...so that users who are outside and are looking for some Comic store located in Springfield, are able to see your ad and click on it to take desired actions.

FInd more details about advanced location settings here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

My couple of cents!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Kathy,

As per my experience, I will use both the keywords in my campaign, because keywords with location n them like Springfield will bring users who are actually looking for products in your location and generic keywords without your target location will increase your ad reach.

So in my view keywords with location mentioned in them will give you relevant users and hence chances of conversion is higher and keywords that do not have location keyword in them are good for increasing reach but conversions chances are low as per my knowledge.

We also have one advanced location settings in which, you can use keywords with target location in them and select settings "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location" this will target all the users who are using your target location keyword in search query.

So if budget is not a constraint, create 2 campaigns one with generic keywords without location term in them and adding location as negative keyword at campaign level, and other with location specific terms in it. By doing this you will easily see which keywords are giving you good results, based on that you can decide which campaign to go with.

Thanks,

Anurag

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

My opinion:

If Springfield is a big city (location), it would be redundant to have it twice: once as a Geo targeting and once as part of the keyword (As explained in the discussion @Shuva Nandy linked)

If it is a small town / suburb - then I would include it as part of the keyword.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you all - some really great advice here. I will work on the suggestions and check out the links provided.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
"Springfield" is a big city and I have targeted all off the outer suburbs and towns so I believe I'm covered on the service area.