AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Location Targeting, Location Keywords & Keyword Relevance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running a campaign for a client who has “short term rentals houses in Niagara” in Canada. The objective is to show ads to people around the world who are searching for this location “Niagara” in their search queries.  For example: if somebody in UK looking for house for short terms and typed “short term house in Niagara” then our ad would show up.

• For that reason, In the campaign setting, I have selected the “People in, searching for, or who show interest in your targeted location (recommended) setting.

• The Geographic Location I added are:
  • Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada (city)
  • Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada (city)

Because the Properties are located in above locations (Niagara falls & Niagara-on-the-lake) in Canada.

I have created few ad groups: for example “short term rentals”, “extended stays” “corporate housing” & “fully furnished”.

All the ad groups consists of combination of keywords including location term keywords such as “Short term rentals Niagara falls” in phrase, exact and BMM match. I have tried to use the broad match for more impressions and exposure, but it didn’t work very well as I was getting a lot of irrelevant keywords, so I paused them.

Furthermore, I have also used the keywords without the location term in that such as [fully furnished rentals] in exact, phrase and BMM.

My question to you is, is it the strategy that I implement? In terms of “geographic location by only added “Niagara, and Niagara on the lake” in it, and chose the “people in, searching for, or show interest….”

The keywords with the Location term are not getting any impressions at all, and show status of “Low Search Volume”.

What should I do to improve this campaign, also please advice me what did I do wrong in this campaign.

I would be highly appreciate if you guys can help me to fix these issues. Thanks in Advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Location Targeting, Location Keywords & Keyword Relevance

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Try expanding the Geo targeting to the whole geographic region of upstate NY.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Well... Including the location name within the keyword is a redundancy.

The setting looks OK. My "feeling" is that the low search volume could be more attributed to seasonality (Winter and snow) than to the campaign setting.

Do you typically get many visitors during the mid winter time?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV,

No, there isn't any change in terms of visitors during winter time.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Try expanding the Geo targeting to the whole geographic region of upstate NY.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have found in my experience as well, that adding the locale within the keyword generates a low search volume flag. And I'm managing campaigns for a local company in the Greater NYC area, which is one of the most crowded and busiest metro regions in the world. So if modifying my keywords with the term "New York City" is a low search volume modification, I would imagine it would be anywhere else too. It's odd, because in my private life, I tend to append my searches with the location name I'm interested in. I never just do "pizza" for instance. I always do "pizza {city}"