AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Location Targeting Does Not Work

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am in a country that is not targeted by our campaigns. We also do not use advanced location options so it can't be that it's due to my intent or due to the type of search. And yet when I search for one our terms, I see that our ad gets displayed. What's wrong?

Am I supposed to exclude my location even if it's not actually targeted in the first place. If this is the case, does this mean I need to exclude all other places (which is almost infinite)?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandy A
September 2015

Re: Location Targeting Does Not Work

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hi Sandy,

Also, bear in mind the following:

1. Users can enter a location they are interested (above the search results on Google). This is called the location widget. If the location widget is set to a different location, it will trigger ads based on that location, which is likely different from their physical location.

2. If your campaign’s location targeting is at the country/territory level, your ad may show to users with IP addresses outside of your targeted country if they search on the country-specific Google domain that corresponds with your targeting selection. For example, if your campaign targets Australia, a user with a Philippines IP address may see your ad if they search on Google.au, which is Google’s Australia-specific domain.

As mentioned by the Community, if you find this kind of traffic is impacting your campaigns, you should change the advanced location options to 'people in my targeted location'.

Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sandy,

As you mentioned "We also do not use advanced location options" i assume that your setting is default in your advance location. Please check your advance location option
In Target option if it is checked
People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)

Then change it to
People in my targeted location

I also suggest you to use Ad preview tool in-spite doing search for your ad. The Ad Preview tool allows you to see the exact same results as a Google search, without affecting your ad performance.

regards,
Rahul Goel

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

"We also do not use advanced location options so it can't be that it's due to my intent or due to the type of search."

In Advanced Locations there are three Options to TARGET:

People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)
People in my targeted location
People searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location

In EXCLUDE there are two options
People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location (recommended)
People in my excluded location

By Default for both Target and exclude if will be:

If you didn't change the default setting, then you are including yourself in Search Intent.

Change your Advanced Exclude to:
People in my excluded location

That should exclude YOU and anything you didn't INLCUDE In the normal Location Options.

You can read the support article here
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our campaigns are "Search Network Only - Standard". Therefore there is no advanced location option and our setting is only to target a specific location (nothing else).

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Can you NOT edit the campaign to search only ALL Features?

Search Network ONLY
All features - All the features and options available for the Search Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Unfortunately it's not my call so I can't. But isn't the current setting supposed to work as it should - that is to target only my specified target location?

I don't know if this has something to do with the issue but I'm also using google.com.au when doing my search despite the fact that I'm in the Philippines (hence default should be google.com.ph). Could this be the reason why I'm still seeing our ads which is supposed to show up only to people in Australia? Still... is this a limitation of Google AdWords location targeting?

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Sandy,

I don't know that answer. but lets take this from a different approach. Do you have access to the google Anlaytics?

Acquisition - Keywords - Paid - then secondary dimensions - Users - Pick City or continent.

Are people coming from outside your target area? That will determine if there is a issue.

But to solve the original problem you need to switch the Feature for Advanced Targeting as mentioned prior.

Maybe someone else can answer your .AU and .PH question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Eric. I probably should've been honest from the start.

Actually some of our campaigns do have advanced location option so it shouldn't be a surprise if I see other countries on our Analytics account (Keywords).

However the keyword I tried to search earlier belongs to a campaign that is "Search Network Only - Standard". So I was wondering why our ad is still showing up on my end (Philippines) when it belongs to a campaign that shouldn't do so. I wouldn't be surprised if the term I used is covered by our campaigns that utilize advanced location option. But this is not the case.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandy A
September 2015

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hi Sandy,

Also, bear in mind the following:

1. Users can enter a location they are interested (above the search results on Google). This is called the location widget. If the location widget is set to a different location, it will trigger ads based on that location, which is likely different from their physical location.

2. If your campaign’s location targeting is at the country/territory level, your ad may show to users with IP addresses outside of your targeted country if they search on the country-specific Google domain that corresponds with your targeting selection. For example, if your campaign targets Australia, a user with a Philippines IP address may see your ad if they search on Google.au, which is Google’s Australia-specific domain.

As mentioned by the Community, if you find this kind of traffic is impacting your campaigns, you should change the advanced location options to 'people in my targeted location'.

Hope this helps! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Rachel. I am not familiar with the location widget but will definitely check it out. Number 2 is obviously the reason why I keep seeing our ad despite being outside our targeted location. As to the kind of traffic, I'll probably just check Analytics from time to time and if traffic from non-targeted locations continues to increase (right now it isn't really significant), then will change the settings and make sure to set advanced location option to 'people in my targeted location'.

Thanks to everyone!