Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Location Targeting - Country or City Which is best

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

hi,

Is it better to target country  (United Kingdom) or by all the cities? Reason for this question is because i think targeting city level will give more impression similar to Dynamic search ads. In Dynamic search ads if you target by category then the reach to all the page is very less. but if you target all the urls then the reach is higher. Does this maths work with location target?

Thanks in advance

y2k_chapin

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Location Targeting - Country or City Which is best

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi y2k_chapin, I'm not sure I understand the comparison you're making with Dynamic Search Ads; DSAs have no effect on location targeting and are not affected by location targeting any differently than any other Ads.

As far as the choice of city over country goes, if you want to reach the whole of the UK you should target the country, mostly because the UK has a rather odd network system that can be unreliable in locating users.  If you wish to add additional city targets to provide some precise bidding adjustments, you could do so, but I'd always target at the country level unless the business is local.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi y2k_Chapin,

I agree with Cobnut, if it is the whole of the UK you wish to target then do that specifically. I have run a number of test with location targeting and targeting the same area in a multitude of ways.

For example, target a city versus targeting a state/province and then negatively targeting every area but the city in questions.

Some test have found no statistical significance whereas some have found an increased CPC with more specific targeting.

So in general, if you want to target a certain area target that area specifically and not the sub-divisions of that area.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
hi Cobnut,

Thank you for your reply.

DSA was an example I took to show what I was looking for. Targeting category level only reach certain percentage of overall URLS. But if it was targeted by individual URL then the reach will increase as per my experience. This doesnt related to location . But if you think in this scenario and replace category with city and urls with cities then you would know what I mean.

My target is UK. So I thought targeting country wont reach all cities compared to the city level targeting. Normally everyone bids on country level and if I bid on city level then I believe my ads get more impressions than those who bid on country level provided I cover all the cities.

Y2k_chapin
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author y2k_chapin
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi y2k_chapin, to answer your question about impressions and coverage, this all depends upon your budget.  If you target the entire UK and have sufficient budget for a 100% impression share then you'll reach just as many people - more, in fact - than you would by targeting the cities individually.  If your budget is limited then it makes sense to only target your most profitable regions so that they each have a 100% impression share.  

In short, with an appropriate budget, there's no extra impressions to be had by targeting cities.

As for the DSA idea, I think you're suggesting a system whereby the content of the site could be used to create the targeting for an Ad.  If so, it's an interesting idea, but not one that's currently available and unlikely to be so while location targeting remains a Campaign level setting.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jon,

This make sense. It would be better if location target coverage works similar to DSA targeting style. Thank you for providing clear explanation.

Y2k_chapin