AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Location Location Location!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I manage a pretty large account, that targets the US...  Right now, I just target all of the campaigns to the broad United States... However, I have competitors that target smaller target areas and within the USA...

My questions are:

Does More specific targeting in terms of location settings rank ads higher than an ad targeted to the entire country...

Would I be better served in terms to do a major expansion of my accounts to target all the areas where I currently see traffic...

Do the ads targeted to the entire US rank higher than the ads targeted to the more specific areas?

Thanks for your help y'all...

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location Location Location!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
The more specific targeting can yield better results. With more specific targeting you can create ads that may give you a great lift in CTR by citing the location and making people feel more connected to your ads i.e. chicago mortgage brokers.

Long story short just modifying your targeting options alone is not going to do the trick. You will need to build the relevance around that location with your ads and keywords for people to connect with the ads and if done right you will see a lift.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

To follow with Kim:  I like to set a customized /  tailored landing page for each location. Locations are different:  by culture,  by people, and  even the English is slightly different. Localized landing page could result in higher conversion rate.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
To add to the above, targeting regionally could also help you save some money! Bidding on terms like 'best clam chowder' would be pricey when targeting the east coast, but probably doesn't cost as much if you were to target Montana...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
HI All...

Let me try to frame the questions better... Say we are offering something like Auto Insurance...

Keywords are the same in San Diego as New York...

If I target the keyword "Auto Insurance" to the entire United States... Do those targeting options have better "ad rank" (used loosely) as a campaign targeted to San Diego or New York individually...

Does that frame the questions better?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes!

Ad rank is Quality Score * Bid. This means that if the above recommendations are used, the quality score will go up, and you'll have better rankings. Possibly even for less money!

Theoretically, an ad with "Auto Insurance in LA" will get a better click rate than "Auto Insurance". This click rate will show an improved Quality Score and get you a better rank!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
You should also consider that you are covering all time zones if you target the whole country. This can lead to waste if you find that you're better to be pushing all your budget to specific times of the day - and these may not even be the same from zone to zone. you my find your ads perform better in the morning on the West Coast and evening on the East....

I have a client at the moment for whom we are finding that Moms with younger children are a good target - they have pretty specific times that they get a chance to sit down to surf - and these windows are tight. Countrywide targeting just doesn't allow us to focus as well as we want to.

Scheduling by time zone coupled with bid adjustments gives good control.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@RockyMountain45 ;
Once a keyword is found eligible to take part in an auction, a QS is calculated for this keyword, based on its past history performances,  irrespectively to the Geo region you are targeting. The bid is the value that differs per region. ( Well...you could find keywords that are more "popular" in one region than another, or in a given   "time frame" - as Steve mentioned-  and hence  have a better CTR in a given region / time frame  due to user behavior.  But, this is factored into the CTR of the KW,  and  is not a "region dependent" parameter.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’