Guide Me
star_border

Location Extensions - Rotation of Nearest Locations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well.

This is an annoying issue that I've come up against numerous times and I'll try to explain it as succinctly as possible.

With this extension I've noticed that Google rotates a set of "nearest" locations into the ads. The problem with this, is the fact the ad displays only one location at the expense of another. Essentially, eliminating any relevancy based on actual location of the user. Google determines the number of locations on the back end with no real visibility into this process or control over the rotate. I've been told by my google reps that this is an even rotation based on the qualifying locations.

I had originally assumed this was only an issue because of the accuracy of Canadian IP addresses and that mobile location extensions are much more accurate against the location of the actual device. However, I have just done some tests and realize this is not the case. The algorithm works the same on mobile and desktop.

I am finding this to actually be a negative user experience overall and am considering recommending against this to all of my clients. Why would I support encouraging someone to drive 40-50 KMs out of their way when there's a location right around the block? Seems like a big miss by Google to rotate multiple options into one spot rather than use the closest address.

Does anyone have any experience with this or have any solution? Is it simply a limit of location-based tech in Canada? Do any US advertisers have similar issues?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location Extensions - Rotation of Nearest Locations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;
To my knowledge; locations shown using "location extension" do NOT rotate. The location that will be shown (to the user)  will be nearest one to the user's physical  location. The issue, though,  is how accurate is Geo targeting? Geo targeting has  its inaccuracy - meaning: the user would be physically located in one place, while the system "identifies" him in another, and thus showing the wrong business address.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian,
as Moshe said, the location in your ad is the nearest to you.
How have you done your tests? Did you searched with your mobile phone or used the Ad Preview Tool? Is the the location access on your mobile phone enabled?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I've done multiple live tests on both desktop and mobile and can confirm they do rotate. My most recent mobile test included searching for my top brand head term. I can see each time i refresh the search the location changes. I've also had confirmation from my Google reps who had spoken to their product team (this was mid last year) that this in fact does happen. It may be a Canadian issue if you are not seeing it on your end?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hmm, this is very strange. How have you set up your location extension? Maybe we are not talking about the same extension... Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
They're linked to our Google places account which contains details of all the kiosk locations. This has been done at the campaign-level across all of our campaigns.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Never heard about rotating locations... This extension should show the nearest location to a user.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The issue is it's rotating "elgible" locations. I am planning to turn this off across all of my accounts until I can find out a) why it's happening b) how to control it. Any help would be appreciated! Cheers, Brian.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I suggest you to send another help question to the AdWords help center and ask them to check this...