AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Location Extensions - Contact your customer when they’re right round the corner!

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hello folks,

I’m part of the performance team for Google AdWords and have got some tips to share on how you can boost your campaigns by using Ad Extensions in your accounts to enhance your text ads and make them more visible. They’re free to add in to your account and help increase your quality score by giving your customer more information about your business up front.

There are several types of ad extensions in your tool kit that you can use depending on what your business offers. This week we’ll take a look at Location Extensions for your AdWords campaigns.

If you have a local business with a brick and mortar shop or office that your customers can visit Location Extensions are a great idea for your campaigns. Local businesses are able to benefit the most from using Location Extensions, as they dynamically add information about your business' location to your AdWords ad when users are searching for your keywords near to your business.

For example, if you ran a flower shop your AdWords ad could show with a link to a map pinpointing your location when your potential customer is searching for your keywords from their office up the street.

More than 20% of searches on Google are now related to specific locations, and people often act quickly on local searches. Research shows that using smartphones, 88% of people who search for local information take action within a day. Location Extensions help you take advantage of this increase in local searches by guiding your customers right to your door when they are most interested in your services. What better way to find that last minute bunch of daffodils than by following the map appearing right next to an ad that has caught your eye?

Location Extensions don’t cost the earth either. They are free to add into your account and when someone clicks on your Location Extension it costs the same as a regular click on your AdWords ad. With no added cost to worry about Location Extensions help give your customers the information they need to avail of your services quickly and easily.

You can use either the information from your Google Places account to create these (if you have one), but don’t panic if you don’t have a Places account, you can still manually enter the address you want to use.

So, that’s all on Location Extensions that I have for the moment, but I’m happy to answer any questions you have on this topic.

Good luck with the campaigns!

A.

(Please remember, as this is an open forum please don't post your CIDs or any other account specific information. The AdWords Support team is more then happy to assist you if you contact us directly.)

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location Extensions - Contact your customer when they’re right round the corner!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Thanks for sharing this, Alys!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: Location Extensions - Contact your customer when they’re right round the corner!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nice post

is location extensions available to all countries?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi alys,

We miss the good old days, when discussions like these were happening more often.

Now, let me please ask my 2 questions:

(1 If i am advertising on a national level or say a statewide level, is there any point of adding my address or let's assume that this is simply not for everyone?

(2 If i run a campaign named "Brown Shoes" and i use Kwrd: "Brown Shoes" and then i wanna create an additional adgroup for local folks with a special ad saying: "Come in for %30 Discount" - do i have to create a new campaign using the very same keywords?

(3 what about the new Dynamic location insertion, that seems so useful but unfortunately nobody is here to explain it on an end user level...

If i advertise "Brown Shoes" and someone searches "Brown Shoes Ann Arbor" can i dynamically add Ann Arbor to the Ad Text? If so.. How?

With appreciation...

Jaybtiger - Friend of Top contributors Smiley Happy

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Mukeshji, 

Location Extensions aren't available in every country yet, but this link here shows which countries they are available in. 

Hope this helps!

A.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi JaybTiger,

Thanks for your post!

1. In terms of your questions, location extensions only show when we pick up that a user is physically close to the location of the address you used in your location extension. So if you had a nationwide campaign your location extension would only show when a user was searching for your keywords and they were physically near your business.

2. If you want to have a special ad for local customers targeting only your local area, you would need to create a new campaign. This is because location targeting is done at the campaign level rather than the ad group level. You could either use the same keywords as in your previous campaign or you could use new keywords in the brand new campaign. I would recommend trying to use new keywords if possible as this will avoid you having overlapping keywords, which is a best practice we try and follow as much as possible. 

3. In terms of dynamic location insertion, this is a really handy feature that can help make your ads more relevant to your customers. There is a piece of code you will need to add into your ad text to use this feature, and this is outlined in this link here under the 'Location Insertion' section.

To make this a little clearer, this is what an ad with dynamic location insertion would look like in terms of code:

Brown Shoes!

Great value brown shoes at (ib.city: my store).

www.brownshoes.com

If your location extension had trigerred with this ad, the ad would dynamically insert the city name, so it would now read:

Brown Shoes!

Great value brown shoes at Ann Arbor.

www.brownshoes.com

If your location extension had not triggered with the ad, the ad text would use the default text 'my store' and would look like this: 

Brown Shoes!

Great value brown shoes at my store.

www.brownshoes.com

Hope this helps JaybTiger!

A.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Alys,

i really appreciate your valuable input.

What i don't seem to get is: how in the world is this supposed to detect the location.

Meaning to say, do i have to enter "Ann Arbor" as my target location in order for "Ann Arbor" to show up?, if i wanna target the entire united states tailored to each users query, is it possible?

In short: How do i get started with this feature?

With appreciation.

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi JaybTiger, 

The location is taken from the Location Extension you have entered for the campaign. Dynamic location insertion only works when your location extension shows, and your location extension only shows when our system picks up that a user is physically close to the business location you added in your location extension. So unless you have a location extension for every location in the US, you wouldn't be able to use dynamic location insertion for all of these locations. It isn't really possible to target the entire US tailored to each users location and search query in this way.

You could use keyword insertion to have relevant location based keywords be dynamically inserted into your ad text, but to make this work for every location in the US, you would need to have a keyword for every location in the US, which is not really feasible. 

To get started with dynamic location extensions you would need to modify your ad text so as to include the code outlined in this article. This will pull in location based information from your location extension for you, you would not need to type in the term Ann Arbor into your ad per se. 

Hope this helps!

A.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 9
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you all, for your interesting question and Alys for participation.

This topic has been now closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Zee
G+