Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Location Exclusions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello All,

I am advertising in the United States but I see clicks from all over the world (Russia, India, Panama etc) in my dimensions report set to the User Locations view.

But when I put it on the Geographic view, none of those locations are there.  Could I get more insight on how this works?

Also, should I exclude international locations?

I look forward to your answers!

Thank you.

PPCSophie
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location Exclusion Help

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Sophie,

For more insights you can use Google analytics account.(need adwords linking and auto-tagging enabled)

And to stop clicks from other location than your targeting locations, please go through this thread:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Account-Issues/My-Ads-are-showing-in-non-targeted-...

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Archit, thank you for your quick response but it was not helpful. I need a full explanation. The screenshots in your previous post did not clarify my question for me. But thank you for your effort.
PPCSophie

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Sophie,

When you activate geo-targeting, the default setting in "Location options advanced" is "People in, searching for or who show interest in my targeted location". That shows your ad to people outside of your targeted area. If you want your ads to show only for people located within your targeted area, select "People in my targeted location".

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Two types of data are available for geographic location:

• Geographic: Your Geographic data shows your customers' physical locations or locations that they had shown interest in through searches on Google or Google Maps.
  • User location: Your User Location data shows only your customers' physical locations, regardless of any locations they may be interested in.

From this page: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453994?hl=en

So, rely on the User Location report to know where people are definitely located. Geographic is more of an insight into why Google showed them the ads.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Sophie,

Hope it will make clear all your doubts.

What does "Reach people in your targeted location" actually mean:

“Reach people in your targeted location” allows you to show your ads only to anyone who is considered to be physically located within the area that you've targeted.

If people outside of your targeted area include terms related to your targeted locations in their searches, they won't see your ads. When using this targeting option, the location of interest such as location term in query is ignored.

Example
Let’s say your Los Angeles-based taxi company wants to only reach people located in Los Angeles looking for a cab. You can reach people in your targeted location, in order to reach customers who are likely to be physically located in Los Angeles when they search for your keyword taxi, regardless of the Google domain they used to do their search.
If someone located in New York searches for Los Angeles taxi, your ads won't appear, even though the location Los Angeles is in her search.

What does "Exclude people in my excluded location" actually mean:

This setting keeps your ads from appearing to people who are likely to be physically located in the area that you've excluded. People that are physically outside these areas may still see your ads.

Example

Let's say you own a ski equipment store in Colorado that ships anywhere in the United States. You've found that you have very few sales from Kansas, so you want to divert more of your budget to other areas. You decide to use physical location exclusion to keep your ads from appearing for people in Kansas who search for ski equipment.

Reference: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?expand=loc2&ctx=tltp

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’