2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Location Exclusion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I live in Scotland and have a number of campaigns specifically for areas within scotland. However, i have seen an increase in clicks from England from people searching in my location areas. I have changed my settings to allow on people who live in my location to areas to view my ads.

Here is my question.

If someone lives in Scotland (my targetted area) but has an Internet Service Provider based in England can they view my ads?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location Exclusion

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Correct;
For desktops; the user's location is determined by the IP address assigned by the ISP. So, if the ISP is based in England, and did not map the IPs per locations (i.e. Assigned "blocks" of addresses per region/  address) -  the user would be considered as physically present in England.
Though, I should note that major ISPs have mapped their IPs.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for that info

I have excluded England from all my campaigns now and only time will tell if it really has been wasted clicks ive been getting or genuine clicks that im now losing?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

No; if someone in England is searching about your location the ad will be shown,
If you  want to (completely) exclude users outside your region, then in "advanced targeting options", choose "people in my targeted location,only"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’