Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Locally targeted, no impressions. Help?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi world, 

We're doing a hyper-local approach by targetting the downtown section of our city during lunch hours. Yet, after a few weeks, we've had 0 clicks and 0 impressions. With over 250 keywords catering to our unique business, it seems strange that none of them have picked up traffic. We're using a flash image ad, 300x250. Everything else appears to be set to auto or whatever would give us maximum exposure, but still no luck. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Re: Locally targeted, no impressions. Help?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Let´s try to find some reasonable explanation to your 0 expressions.

First, please check a few settings at campaign level

So you are targeting the display network?

Specific or broad reach?

How did you choose your target area (for example 2 miles radius from XX)?

And then ad group level

What kind of keywords and match types are you using?

Do you use only image ads or text also?

Are your ads qualified (or underreview)?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi cdorsey,

Are you targeting Google's Display Network, Search Network, or both?

If targeting the search network, you will need to put together text ads as image ads are not supported on the search network.

Also, by only having one ad, you are limiting your reach on the display network becase not every site is going to support 300x250 dimension.

Lastly, if you are interested in catering to local searches, it might be worth investigating AdWords Express. This is especially good if you are not familiar with the AdWords interface, as Google manages the account for you. Just a thought!

Hope this provides a little guidance. Let me know if you have follow-up questions.

Thanks,

BI

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
  • Targeting both the display network and search network
  • Broad reach.
  • Target areas are 1 mile radius from two zip code locations.

• Using several keywords for an Italian restaurant & food as well as local landmarks and competitors. Quotation marks and brackets. (eg. local italian restaurant, "local italian restaurant", and [local italian restaurant] -- should I remove the phrase and exact and just leave the broad?)
  • Currently using only an image ad but just added a text ad, so maybe that will help.
  • The image ad qualified and the text ad is being reviewed.

Thank you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Are certain dimension sets better than others? What size is most common?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey,

It sounds like you are on the right track. A couple of suggestions:

1.) Separate your search and display network into different campaigns. This way you can measure each independently. 

2.) A one mile radius may be a bit limiting. Since you've added a text ad, you are now eligible to appear in Google Search, so I would wait to see if this helps. If not, try to broaden your radius.

3.) Since you are targeting local searchers (restaurant specific), it might be worth putting together a mobile targeted campaign as well.

4.) I would suggest setting up location and call extensions. This appends your business address & phone number to your ads which can be very helpful for a searcher. 

Take a look at this blog post for additional tips for a restaurant using AdWords.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

BI

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Customers that go to a health club are said to travel 5 miles to go work out. If it is farther they willnot go. I wonder if your customers drive they may travel more than 1 mile if the food is good or they want to try a new place they think is good. Walking traffic certainly would not. It would be intereting to expand it to increase the clicks and see if you get more traffic to learn on. I regularly travel 2.9 miles for Italian resturant both for sit down and take out. We pass other options since we like the owners and the food. We are in a suburban location. As you get clicks you can adjust back to closer but you will see what words people are searching for. Is your site mobil and do you have mobil adds? Food is a good industry for mobil.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

An example is a comment from a health club owner that had studied his marketing. Customers that go to a health club are said to travel 5 miles to go work out. If it is farther they will not go. The rule of thumb may fit restaurants.  I wonder if your customers drive they may travel more than 1 mile if the food is good or they want to try a new place they think is good. Walking traffic certainly would not. It would be interesting to expand it to increase the clicks and see if you get more traffic to learn on. I regularly travel 2.9 miles for Italian restaurant both for sit down and take out. We pass other options since we like the owners and the food. We are in a suburban location. As you get clicks you can adjust back to closer but you will see what words people are searching for. Is your site mobil and do you have mobil adds? Food is a good industry for mobil.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I think adding a text ad is a great step forward. Also I´d strongly suggest you add those keywords but match type broad modifier. You can keep other match types as well.

If your website has at least 150 visitors per month it may also be worth it adding remarketing tags and run a remarketing campaign to get more repeat visitors (and some new who couldn´t decide to go after the first visit).