AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Local businesses and online advertising with AdWords - share your tips and help these local businesses

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi All, 

This week let's help local businesses get comfortable with online advertising. What are some tips that you can share to help local businesses succeed in online advertising? What are some must haves in their websites, in their ads and in their keywords? What are the AdWords features that help local businesses? 

Thanks, 

Mini

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Local businesses and online advertising with AdWords - share your tips and help these local busi

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Mini,

I think there are a number of features in AdWords that can really benefit local businesses. I'll start off with a few of my tips.

Location targeting is a must for a local business. By setting your campaigns to target just the areas you service it will help you get your ads out in front of the right potential customers.
You are able to set quite specific target locations (down to postcode in the US).
Think about if you want your ads to only be shown to people inside your service area or if you want to show them to people who are searching for your service from outside your target area.
Someone may work outside your target area but live within it and are looking for your service so you may want to look into the Location options (advanced) to make sure this setting is set to "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location" This is the default setting so if it's not what you want you can change it here.

When thinking about your keywords, try and put yourself in the mind of the searcher. What type of words are they going to type in to find your services?
Some business are more location specific than other so think about this. A good example would be a plumber. People will normally use the service they are looking for followed by their location (or vise versa) so they can find someone local, like "plumbers seattle" & "seattle plumber"

I'd recommend using location keywords as well as non location keywords (you are using location targeting so not all keywords need a location appended). Keep these types of keywords in separate AdGroups or campaigns so you can see their performance separately as I normally find the location keywords will outperform the more generic keywords in terms of cost per lead.

Make sure you have a visable phone number on your website so people can easily see it and call you. Add call extensions to your ads as these can be very useful in increasing your campaigns enquiries. Maybe even add the phone number to your ad copy.
I find when advertising a local business it's sometimes better to have a local number than a free 1800 number as it helps give the ad more of a local feel and the users can find it more personal.

Adding location extensions can help provide the user with more location and contact details about your business. These generally also help your CTR as the ads stand out more than the standard text ads.

I'd recommend a separate mobile campaign using call extensions as well. Users on mobile will perform differently to desktop users and it's nice to have these in separate campaigns so you can more easily see how each one is performing.

This should help get a local business off to a good start online.

Re: Local businesses and online advertising with AdWords - share your tips and help these local busi

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mini,

Adam has already covered most of the points. In addition to Adam's great response above, I just wanted to higlight Location Insertion. If you have already enabled Lcoation extension you can setup Location Insertion for your ad text. 

I beleive specially for a Local campaign, it really attract users eyeballs when we have "Locations" in adcopy. And users are sure that the ad they are going to click will take them to Local Services Website.

That's my opinion!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Thank you Adam and Neha for the great suggestions. 

Can you share examples of any real local businesses that used location targeting, location extensions and location insertions? This would be very useful for our users and would help in understanding the real business implications.

Thanks, 

Mini

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Ohhh, Purefuzz and Neha covered all major aspects

I would add two points:

• Language targeting: in today's communities, we find diverse languages and nationalities. I encourage advertisers to set a separate landing page for the main languages spoken in their community

• I find that click to call, works quite well with small businesses in local communities.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Thanks Moshe.

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Mini,

There are some great suggestions from great people above Smiley Happy

I would put stress on few things in addition to above comments:

Sitelink Extensions is a must to beat the online advertising competition be it local or international. Using sitelinks to promote the internal site pages will give the online user an extra option to look in for other services, special discounts, some free quote request etc.... and can lead to more conversions as well. In addition, there would be a much improvement in terms of CTR as well, if the local advertiser tries to achieve that sweet top spot with sitelinks underneath the regular text ads.

As Adam mentioned about the local keywords, I would continue in the same note by adding the location specific ad copies as well. Using location specific ad copies (title could be as an example: Plumbers in New York, Cosmetic Surgeon NJ, Manhattan Carpet Cleaners etc....) would attract the online user's eyes and would compel him to click on it being a localite.

This would surely help in getting more users and finally more customers making the life of local advertisers happy.

Ad scheduling is another great feature which I love. For local advertisers, it would be better to set up the campaigns using ad scheduling. This would ensure right amount of advertising spend with right segment of users online. If the local business is off for the weekend, then why to spend money during the weekends. It's better to schedule the ads for week days only. On  the other hand, if business flourishes more during the weekends, it's better to create separate weekend campaigns with different schemes to attract as many user as possible.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks For this new concept Neha. Didnt knew about it.

Regards,
Chetan.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

For local businesses following are always the pain points (they can be either lead generation, ecommerce or also traffic driven campaigns) -

1. Higher CPC - They always need to compete with the bigger advertisers on Google. They are big brands and names at national levels. Thus the CPC is normally higher for generic keywords.

2. Low Quality Scores - Local businesses need to have such keywords so that their Quality Score 6+. Now to include very generic keywords, can blow your pockets and business plans apart You may not like adwords because you blew your money with no revenues. Simple Answer is available in Point 3.

3. Targeted Keywords - If you are the owner of kitchen showroom-building kitchen designs, trollies, selling appliances, waste bin and containers. You dont need to bid on the keyword kitchens or even [kitchens]. It doesnt make sense. Your keyword will trigger ads for anything and everything - kitchen photos, kitchen pictures, kitchen countertops, etc. Thus you will have irrelevant traffc to your site. Build a keyword list which is very very targeted. You should have 2 words + Keywords.

Always include highly targeted and long tail keywords in your accounts. Let there be less clicks and lower traffic, build a huge keyword list. But dont spoil your wealth on irrelevant traffic.

4. Account Structure - Your account structure should be good. It should be tightly themed. If you have lower budgets manage your account effectively. Dont create a mixture of keywords and throw them into adgroups and then build campaigns. Simple way of building an account structure is-  Research your products, services, competitors on keyword tool. You can get Adgroup Ideas. See what themes of keywords you can include. Then build campaigns and then adgroups in them. Then move towards the keyword research.

5. Shared Budgets - Previously it was a huge problem on deciding how much to allott to every adwords campaign. Now Adwords has just came up with a new updated feature Shared Budget which helps you allott a daily budget to your whole account. Thus now you dont have the burden to manage the account effectively. More on Shared Budget - http://adwords.blogspot.ie/2012/09/new-adwords-budget-option-shared-budgets_17.html

6. Remarketing - Always use effective Remarketing Techniques. Create Custom Combination Lists of Converted and non converted users. For ecommerce advertisers, they need to have two strategies - one for converted and other for non converted. Build different campaigns according to locations, products, pages and audience behavior. More On Remarketing - http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453998

7. Extensions - Always use location extensions, sitelinks, call extensions. This would help to boost your business.

Also effective use of Adwords Reports + Analytics Reports Can lead to a lot of profitability for your Adwords Campaigns And in the end for your business. Not mentioning Analytics reports here.

PS Note: After my 8 years of experience into Adwords - New advertisers tend to add all the keywords from the keyword tool. Remember keyword tool is a mix of lot of keyword ideas. You need to choose what is really relevant and not. Better hire some adwords professional from google network to make it work easily and faster.

Let me know if I missed on something.

Thanks,

Chetan