AdWords
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Limit remarketing frequency to one impression over X amount of days?

eCI
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
eCI
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am running a re-marketing campaign, and I want to take a very conservative approach.  I want users to see my ad (impression) only once on the first day after they visit my site, and then only once more in total after that.

I know that I can set the frequency to once per day, but that will still show them an impression every day.

If I set my cookies setting to 7 days, they will get an impression every day for 7 days.

If I set my cookies for 2 or 3 days, there is a chance they will not get impressions at all during those days, and the campaign will no longer run for them.

So, I would like to have campaign cookies valid for 3 or 4 days, and then have a frequency of 1 per day for first day, and then ONLY 1 more for the next 3 days combined?  Can this be done?

I'm thinking of an automated rule: pause campaigns when impressions is greater than 2 or 3.

Any opinions out there?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author eCI
September 2015

Re: Limit remarketing frequency to one impression over X amount of da

eCI
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
eCI
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Well, after a few days I have not received a great answer to my question.
After all my research, it appears there is no way to do what I wanted.
My own suggestion - to pause campaign using an automated rule after X # of impressions does not make sense, as this will pause the whole campaign. For now my least worst option is setting it to X amount of impressions per day per user, and then setting a small number of days for the cookies to be active. Unless someone else can add to this, that is the solution.

To all those who advised me about the purpose of re-marketing and "following users", I appreciate the feedback, but this is just not the approach we need in this instance. I understand the idea of re-marketing but like everything - there are exceptions to the rule.
So my question - if anybody out there has input - is not whether this is the right use, but assuming it is - how to do it.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Eci

You can do following - In Frequency Capping there is option of Impression / day or / Week or / Month . You can select per week option.

Go to Frequency Capping and make it 1 or 2 Impressions / Week ( as per your requirement ). This will sort your concern .

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi eCI;

My view - You are restricting the complain to much;
The goal of Remarketing is to follow the user who is still in a research / shows interest in the product (e.g. researching for a service, product).  Uses' decision is usually made within 5-7 days. (And in some verticals could take longer (e.g vacation planned in advanced).

So limiting Remarketing to 3-4 days with strict capping  "dissolves" the "concept" /idea of  an effective Remarketing campaign.

My 2 pennies on Remarketing... Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

eCI
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
eCI
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Moshe and Shweta.

Moshe, I appreciate your 2 pennies. I agree with you, but in this very specific case, it does make sense to go with the conservative approach, for various reasons.

Assuming it is a correct approach, the question still remains how best to implement it.

In response to Shweta, my fear is that the suggestion doesn't guarantee that the ads will be spread out. A limit of 1 impression per week means a user will only see the impression once. A limit of 2 impressions per week, could still result in one user seeing the impression 2 times on the same day. i.e. Adwords can start to deliver the impressions and only stop them once the cap is reached. I need to know that the user will not see more than 1 impression per day.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi eCl,

The aim of remarketing is to follow the same users, who have seen your product/services on your website.
As @MosheTLV  said, users generally takes 5-7 days to research the product, so thinking on this concept, we generally make Remarketing strategy in this way
1. Audinces, who has seen certain product from last 7 days:- I generally keep the high bid and do not use the frequency capping.
2.) Audiences, who has seen the products from 8 days to 15 days:- i generally keep low bid as compared with first case and use Frequency capping and so on...

In this way you can control the frequency capping in Remarketing campaign. You also need to understand the purchasing life cycle of the product or services. 

E.g If your website is selling an expensive product, your users will take generally 10-20 days to place the order. So set frequency capping accordingly.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author eCI
September 2015

eCI
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
eCI
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Well, after a few days I have not received a great answer to my question.
After all my research, it appears there is no way to do what I wanted.
My own suggestion - to pause campaign using an automated rule after X # of impressions does not make sense, as this will pause the whole campaign. For now my least worst option is setting it to X amount of impressions per day per user, and then setting a small number of days for the cookies to be active. Unless someone else can add to this, that is the solution.

To all those who advised me about the purpose of re-marketing and "following users", I appreciate the feedback, but this is just not the approach we need in this instance. I understand the idea of re-marketing but like everything - there are exceptions to the rule.
So my question - if anybody out there has input - is not whether this is the right use, but assuming it is - how to do it.