AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Less Conversions, Impressions & Clicks. Help Needed!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone. 

I am running a Search only campaign for a client, which is a customer journey mapping software. The problem is that compared to the same period last month i.e. 1 Dec till 15 Dec, I have noticed a slump in impressions, click and conversions. While the campaign averaged about 17-20 conversions every month, it stands at only 4 in the first 15 days. The costs are also a lot higher i.e. CPC and CPA while the conversion rate has halved. I have tried upping the bids for now.

It might be worth noting that all keywords are phrase matches, so no leakage of costs there.

It looks like a general case of demand going down while people are still recovering from the holiday season but any help with this would be much appreciated. What are the potential steps I could take? 

Thanks!

Less Conversions, Impressions & Clicks. Help Needed!

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

HI @Perform M

Interesting scenario, and one which may not be uncommon. 

At first thought, if impressions are down this could well be linked correlatively to conversions. Have impressions / clicks decreased linearly with the number of conversions? If so this could well be the answer. However, there may be other reasons - for example you did mention no leakage with phrase match but there could well be - since phrase match could involve other search terms before to after your keyword. I would investigate the actual search terms in dec and see if you are still ranking for them? I would recommend thinking about adding your best search terms on exact match and optimise the whole ad > LP journey. 

CPC are higher - has your QS dipped? Or, perhaps the phrase matched search terms are a little different to that of Dec, which could mean a slightly different QS in their respective auctions. 

Other considerations

Has your budget changed? 

Has your targeting changed? 

Have you changed your ads?

Avg position movements?

Competitor ads - are they offering something different (wouldn't effect impressions, but perhaps clicks)

Device - are you using modifiers (+/-)

What was the data saying in 2016 for jan? And indeed as far back as you can go for general trends?

Does that help a little? Hope so

Good luck

James