5.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Length of campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - this may seem like an odd question. Should I occasionally stop my campaign for a week or so rather than running it all the time? Apart from saving money (ok, I also lose clicks) I wonder if a period of inactivity is better than a continous run of my ads? 

Any comments? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Length of campaign

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

In most cases AdWords visitors tend to be first time visitors who are looking for your product or service because they need it at that moment - that just tends to be the nature of AdWords traffic.

Stopping and starting, therefore, doesn't impact much - it's not like the traditional advertising where people see your ad in a magazine for a few months before responding.

It will save budget - but you might want to test the times in the month you run the ads - I see quite big fluctuations in some accounts - I have a client that sells what are basically big boy's toys - and they get most of their business at the start of the month  - i.e. just after pay day - and very little towards the end - when food and rent seem to take over as priorities....

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

My experience is that if you have  fixed dates (during which) you would like to stop your campaign, it would be better done using "campaign scheduling" rather "manual pause / activate".

I have the "feeling"  that the system "behaves" like in nature . It tends to prefer a "steady sate" and small incremental changes, rather than "random" unexpected changes. (And that behavior  extends ,also,  to bid adjustments).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unlike Moshe, I don't have the "feeling" that the system prefers a steady state. In fact, as a database engineeer, it goes against my knowledge of such systems. Granted, Adwords is likely very sophisticated but I don't see how pausing a campaign one way (either manually or system function) would have a different effect than another.

But, these functions such as scheduling are there for a reason: make life simpler and easier for advertisers. Use them. And if Moshe is right, so much the better.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@ben b;

I am an engineer myself, and as such, l like organized and  "structured" code/ algorithm.

Though Google is" all about engineering"; Adwords has some heuristic characteristics in its programing. (A whole  field  in software engineering.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’