AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Length of campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - this may seem like an odd question. Should I occasionally stop my campaign for a week or so rather than running it all the time? Apart from saving money (ok, I also lose clicks) I wonder if a period of inactivity is better than a continous run of my ads? 

Any comments? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Length of campaign

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

In most cases AdWords visitors tend to be first time visitors who are looking for your product or service because they need it at that moment - that just tends to be the nature of AdWords traffic.

Stopping and starting, therefore, doesn't impact much - it's not like the traditional advertising where people see your ad in a magazine for a few months before responding.

It will save budget - but you might want to test the times in the month you run the ads - I see quite big fluctuations in some accounts - I have a client that sells what are basically big boy's toys - and they get most of their business at the start of the month  - i.e. just after pay day - and very little towards the end - when food and rent seem to take over as priorities....

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

My experience is that if you have  fixed dates (during which) you would like to stop your campaign, it would be better done using "campaign scheduling" rather "manual pause / activate".

I have the "feeling"  that the system "behaves" like in nature . It tends to prefer a "steady sate" and small incremental changes, rather than "random" unexpected changes. (And that behavior  extends ,also,  to bid adjustments).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unlike Moshe, I don't have the "feeling" that the system prefers a steady state. In fact, as a database engineeer, it goes against my knowledge of such systems. Granted, Adwords is likely very sophisticated but I don't see how pausing a campaign one way (either manually or system function) would have a different effect than another.

But, these functions such as scheduling are there for a reason: make life simpler and easier for advertisers. Use them. And if Moshe is right, so much the better.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@ben b;

I am an engineer myself, and as such, l like organized and  "structured" code/ algorithm.

Though Google is" all about engineering"; Adwords has some heuristic characteristics in its programing. (A whole  field  in software engineering.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’