AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Lead Campaign Performance

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello, everyone!

We have been working on a huge lead campaign. We have been getting good results, but it still puzzles us because we haven't found yet the best way to gather as much volume as possible for a lower cost. 

I'm talking about a few k leads/day.

Currently, we have our campaign split into about 200 towns with around 100 ad groups to each town and almost 250k keywords total. And I still have material to insert another 200 ad groups to each town, increasing the keywords volume drastically. 

We have a few concerns:

- Is the geographic segmentation interrupting one another? We haven't excluded any towns, but how accurate is Google geolocalization? We noticed the volume decreased after we split the entire campaign, but we are still not sure if this is due to AdWords re-reading our changes.

- We are using phrase and exact matches, so we do need to have all the possible variations for each combination of keywords. Using broad match, with or without the modifier, never proved efficient, as it is too costly. The concern here is whether or not there is efficiency if you have, say, 300 ad groups and thousands of keywords combinations.

Do any of you out there have experience in such huge lead campaigns? Any hints you could possibly give would be very much appreciated Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Camila K
September 2015

Re: Lead Campaign Performance

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Camila,

Assuming you don’t want to reconsider the structure of the account with

200 towns => 200X100 ad groups => 250,000 total keywords,

(I leave behind questions like MosheTLV asked, is it absolutely needed. Do you have such a various types of business services structure in these towns or are they just split to geo target separately. And this could possibly be combined with dynamic keywords insertion etc.)

Considering you have almost same kind of ad groups split in different campaigns, you can first try working on Sample of data. Since you have city level campaigns, users search behavior in the region won’t be too different from the other.

You can hand pick few campaigns/cities with high volume and check the ad groups performance at the keywords level.

Allocate maximum possible budget for that campaign to give full exposure.

I think you still can try broad match modifiers as you are bidding for keywords like "subscribe to internet cable" could be searched as "subscribe internet cable", "subscribe cable internet", "internet cable subscribe", "cable internet subscribe".

And this could be replaced by a keyword << +internet +cable + subscribe >> and you can create an copy based on these keywords.

Let these run for some time atleast for 14 days and check performance at the granular level and see what match type works better, see the quality volume received. And based on it you can replicate it for other campaigns.

If you don’t want to wait to test other criteria on campaigns, you can choose different campaigns and experiment on it and wait for its result for 14 days. Later you have result of 2 experiments and then you can further optimise the campaigns.

You can even try ACE (adwords campaign experiment) with different offers “sale, promotion, offer” etc you have while doing the changes.

I would suggest, don’t keep on making changes to these campaigns on daily basis once you make above changes. Give it a go and once you have data, analyse it.

Exporting data and creating pivots may help to generate the summaries of you don’t want to use APIs, external PPC management tools.

In short, test on sample campaigns and replicate improvements to rest of other campaigns.

Hope this helps

SJ

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
My opinion; targeting that many locations with so many adgroups and keyword (why?) requires API... otherwise you could be lost...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Combinations. Lower cost per click.

"subscribe to internet cable" could be searched as "subscribe internet cable", "subscribe cable internet", "internet cable subscribe", "cable internet subscribe"...

Bidding to all possible combinations assures a better competition in the auctions due to a better ad quality. And then to add keyword density to the text ad, in such a level, requires the creation of several ad groups. Because then you have a separate offer for internet cable and internet + tv. And then you have words like "sale, promotion, offer, signature, subscribe" etc. that wouldn't fit in the same text ad. Etc.

We get the API necessity, but right now we are worried with the efficiency of the strategy. Still trying to figure out if it is a good one or not.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Camila K
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Camila,

Assuming you don’t want to reconsider the structure of the account with

200 towns => 200X100 ad groups => 250,000 total keywords,

(I leave behind questions like MosheTLV asked, is it absolutely needed. Do you have such a various types of business services structure in these towns or are they just split to geo target separately. And this could possibly be combined with dynamic keywords insertion etc.)

Considering you have almost same kind of ad groups split in different campaigns, you can first try working on Sample of data. Since you have city level campaigns, users search behavior in the region won’t be too different from the other.

You can hand pick few campaigns/cities with high volume and check the ad groups performance at the keywords level.

Allocate maximum possible budget for that campaign to give full exposure.

I think you still can try broad match modifiers as you are bidding for keywords like "subscribe to internet cable" could be searched as "subscribe internet cable", "subscribe cable internet", "internet cable subscribe", "cable internet subscribe".

And this could be replaced by a keyword << +internet +cable + subscribe >> and you can create an copy based on these keywords.

Let these run for some time atleast for 14 days and check performance at the granular level and see what match type works better, see the quality volume received. And based on it you can replicate it for other campaigns.

If you don’t want to wait to test other criteria on campaigns, you can choose different campaigns and experiment on it and wait for its result for 14 days. Later you have result of 2 experiments and then you can further optimise the campaigns.

You can even try ACE (adwords campaign experiment) with different offers “sale, promotion, offer” etc you have while doing the changes.

I would suggest, don’t keep on making changes to these campaigns on daily basis once you make above changes. Give it a go and once you have data, analyse it.

Exporting data and creating pivots may help to generate the summaries of you don’t want to use APIs, external PPC management tools.

In short, test on sample campaigns and replicate improvements to rest of other campaigns.

Hope this helps

SJ