AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Launching an incomplete campaign vs a complete campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was wondering if it is most effective to launch an incomplete campaign that might perform below average due to bad quality scores or to wait longer and launch a campaign that is completely finished and optimized as best as possible?

As I see it an incomplete campaign takes less time to make and it will get some clicks/conversions right away. But I don't know if an incomplete campaign is "punished" by low quality scores and will have more difficulty performing well in the future when optimized? So it is better to launch it later (missing out on the potential clicks today) and hit the ground running with a better campaign that rates better from the start.

What are your thoughts?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Launching an incomplete campaign vs a complete campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Michael G,

It's an interesting question!

The answer depends on what you class as incomplete. You won't receive low quality scores directly for lacking features within your campaign, but that might contribute to poorer statistics which in turn could influence your quality scores for the worse. Let's say an incomplete campaign lacks negative keywords for example, this will likely generate many irrelevant impressions which will have a negative impact on your average CTR, a factor that is considered when determining quality scores.

For comparison sake, let's imagine you have a single ad group that is as complete as possible with multiple ad variations, negative keywords, ad extensions, etc. While this campaign might be incomplete in terms of lacking other ad groups, this campaign won't be punished as a result. It's actually a great strategy for advertisers who lack a sufficient budget initially, as they can gradually introduce more ad groups and keywords as they start to see a return on investment with their smaller campaign at the beginning. 

My question to you is: What do you class as an incomplete campaign?

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your reply!

Great question that got me to realize it's really a question regarding landing pages and the time period going from low quality scores to high quality scores.

The thing is that it's a grant's account, where money is not really a problem and the aim is to get as many clicks and conversations as possible. 

In a simplified scenario I have two choices.

1) Fast with low quality: launch a campaign with lots of ad groups and keywords and a landing page that provides a bad experience and thereby affecting quality scores negatively.

Pro: possibility to generate clicks and maybe conversations today.

Con: low quality scores = poor statistics/results.

2) Slow with high quality: make a relevant landing page first that hopefully provides a good experience and good quality scores and then launch the campaign.

Pro: high quality scores = better statistics/results. 

Con: missing out on potential clicks today.

So my real question: does it matter?

If I go with option 1, can I simply change the landing page later on and the campaign will almost "instantly" provide better scores (assuming it's a good landing page of course). Or will the campaign actually suffer for longer and have more difficulty getting good quality scores because it got off to a rough start with bad scores?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Given that with a grants campaign you have a $2 limit to the bids, the QS is going to be important. @ScottyD 's approach is a kind of halfway house where you could build your LP for your core keywords and get the initial campaign running and then start to flesh out the rest of the site and corresponding campaigns.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Michael G wrote:

So my real question: does it matter?

If I go with option 1, can I simply change the landing page later on and the campaign will almost "instantly" provide better scores (assuming it's a good landing page of course). Or will the campaign actually suffer for longer and have more difficulty getting good quality scores because it got off to a rough start with bad scores?

If I was in your position, I'd be asking myself (or the client) how important it is to get up and running immediately. I'm personally not a fan of running ads on landing pages that aren't up to scratch, it ends up being a waste of money and can also put off that initial audience; although I understand that money is less of a concern in your case.

I suppose the real question is: Are the landing pages you're planning to use good enough to achieve the conversions that you're seeking?

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

If you can actually spend the budget with all the restrictions, then focus on optimization. 

Tom