4.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Large Drop in Weighted Quality Scores

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been noticing this in multiple accounts. I do the weighted quality score calculations for my accounts about once every 30 days, and during that time only small optimizations are made within the account. (aka nothing drastic that would cause such a big jump/drop)

I'm used to seeing a fluctuation of about .5 or so, but this time around I've been seeing some of my accounts drop by more than 1. Has anyone else run into this or know what could be causing it?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Large Drop in Weighted Quality Scores

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Katy,

Can you tell us how you are calculating the weighted Quality score here?

As far as Quality Score is concerned, every individual keyword has individual Quality Score based on various metrics like CTR, historical performance, landing page experience etc...

Are you saying that you saw dip in keywords's QS recently?

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Same question from me: How did you calculate a fraction of QS?

And, a change of -+1 in QS is not something out of the ordinary;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
To get the weighted scores, I download the keyword report of all enabled keywords for the past 30 days, and then multiply the quality scores by impressions. Then, divide the product of this for each adgroup by the number of impressions accrued by that adgroup as a whole.

The dips that I've seen have been at adgroup and campaign level, which would mean that they keywords themselves have also dropped.

I realize that these changes are not out of the ordinary, but I'm used to seeing a much smaller fluctuation in these numbers, especially when I haven't made any large changes to the account that would result in such a large change.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again @Katy S;

2 issues here;

First, mathematically you should not calculate a "score" / result  with more than the significant figure reported. Hence, if Google reports QS  as an integer, your calculations should be rounded to an integer. And there are  rules, how to calculate these;

Second, honestly, I think you put much effort into this calculation which far exceeds the benefit you get. I would look only into significant changes in the QS as reported by Google.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, even if the numbers are rounded to integers I'm still seeing campaign quality scores drop 1-2. We do this because it gives an idea of how the keywords within that campaign/adgroup are performing quality score wise. If a campaign has a low overall, weighted quality score, that's an indication that it needs to be looked into. Taking the weighted average is far less time consuming than going through every single adgroup and manually checking the quality scores of each keyword.

If an adgroup has a weighted average quality score of 6-7 and then drops down to 4-5 within a 30 day period, with minimal changes made to that adgroup, I see it as a cause for concern. I

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Well... You are looking at averages. An average could be misleading if the standard deviation is not reported. I would recommend to look only at specific keywords, and check  which (individual KW) has a significant change in performance.