2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Language Targeting

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Many people have google.com as their default browser (English is the default language), but they search in their nattive language. I want for them to get a French ad if they search in French, etc. So, I would target my French campaign to all languages, so if someone searches my brand plus a French keyword, Google will pick it up and display the French ad. However, how do I deal with the pure brand? How will Google know which language ad to display? Should English be targeted to all languages, as well?

Another question, can I see a statistic of how many people are searching in English on google.de, how many German people search on google.com etc?

Thank you

5 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Language Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Curious,

Language targeting is indeed a complex situation for most of us while targeting the users we want to focus on.

In my opinion, first thumb rule of language targeting should be to have separate campaigns based on language which you want to target. Remember, whatever language you choose, you should be writing ads in that particular language because Google is not going to convert that for you. Read this excellent reference for more details.

In order to see regional variation of keywords, you can use Google Insight for search.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Curious

We wrote an article on language trying to explain the topic and how Google recognizes the user's default language:

Read more:

AdWords Language Targeting

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Curious,

In addition to the links given by Pankaj and Moshe above, I'd just like to clarify one thing... you mentioned that most people have Google.com as their default page... this is not true...
For example, for france, the default page for Google would be Google.fr which is in French.

With respect to your brand related query, I would suggest that you keep 2 separate campaigns which have a different location and lanuage targeting.
Campaign 1: targeted to US, and english language.
Campaign 2: targeted to france with french language.
the keywords in Campaign 1 could be your brand name in English > users will see english ads > and go to an english Landing Page

For Campaign 2: even if your brand terms are in english > your ad will be in french > and take the user to a french page.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again Curious;

Shweta is correct;

This point explained in details in the wiki article I linked:

AdWords Language Targeting

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Thanks for all the replies to this query, there are some great ideas and resources here! I hope this answers your query Curious. 

A. 

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!