AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Language Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

I have a campaign with English language targeting. All text ads and keywords are in English. When I checked on Search Terms report, there are some Thai search terms triggered my ads and few clicks received. 

May I know why it happens? Please advice. Thanks. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Language Targeting

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello.
Some users may be using Google with English language settings but writing queries in Thai.

Did you use broad keyword matching type?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there,

I know you mentioned it has English language targeting but just to check, in your campaign settings, is only English targeted? Are there any Thai keywords at all, and/or are you targeting Thailand? Thai is one of a few unique languages that Google can detect, so even if you are targeting English speakers, if you have Thai keywords your ad can be triggered by a Thai search query. Also, if your keyword is broad, it can be matched to Thai if it is somehow included in the query.

If 100% of your keywords and ads are in English, then your ad shouldn't be showing for Thai terms. Google doesn't translate search queries, keywords, or ads. That said, it isn't a perfect system. I have seen foreign languages in search query reports when keywords were short, head terms. Things like "CSS" can match for a lot of different things in different languages. I think maybe because it is such a broad term. Using more descriptive keywords seems to help. 

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rafal,

Yes, I am using broad match for all the English keywords

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi

As mentioned this can be because of broad match keywords or because browser language settings are English but user is searching on Thai language. System uses browser language settings when decided which language it is when showing the ads

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

This is a very nice question, which  was raised here in the past;

Indeed, English users who prefer Tahi  UI (or set Thai as an additional language in their browser settings)  could be targeted. But, this does not explain why  a query in Thai was matched to an English Keyword. (Since Adwords does not translate) 

And the reason that we found is that in broad match (which includes synonyms and closed versions)  - the system may locally  add   a keyword in another language, as a synonym of the local KW, because  both the foreign and the local word, are interchangeably used in the spoken (day to day)  language

For example, if the word  "tour" is used  alongside its Thai translation - a  "Tour in Bangkok" (in Thai) could be matched to a KW in English "Tour in Bangkok".

So, is the query in Thai (which triggered the ad) is used interchangeably in the spoken language with the equivalent English word?

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
"Broad" could match queries written in other language. The only limit is user settings (English) but who'd prohibit anybody in Thailand to use English Google interface and ask queries in Thai?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Rafal;

Again. Adwords does not translate. Broad match  will have a foreign word listed as a synonym  (not common at all) - only if the foreign  word is interchangeably used in the spoken language. (e.g. YouTube)

@Rafał K wrote:
"Broad" could match queries written in other language. The only limit is user settings (English) but who'd prohibit anybody in Thailand to use English Google interface and ask queries in Thai?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So that's the question to @Pui Mun L which queries in thai are matched in this English campaign. This could be e.g. "Microsoft Office" written with thai keyboard.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Rafal;

Correct. This is the remaining issue.

@Rafał K wrote:
@So that's the question to @Pui Mun L which queries in thai are matched in this English campaign. This could be e.g. "Microsoft Office" written with thai keyboard.