Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Language Targeting In Mobile App Installs Campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

Can you help me to better understand what does language targeting means when setting up "mobile app installs" campaign?

Is it the user os language? 

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Language Targeting In Mobile App Installs Campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Daveos,

Good question. App install campaigns (when used with Search) are still based on user searches on Google. So, whatever the person's language settings on Google is who your ads for an app install will show to.

Ultimately a keyword is still going to trigger your add for an app, so it's the language of the keyword.

Nothing to do with IOS languages as far as I know.

Hope that helps!
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Daveos,

Regardless of the campaign type you are going to setup, language targeting always means - the language of your targeted audience.

This is how it works on Search and Display network-

Search Network- Adwords will consider two things -
a. Language of Google interface i.e. .com, .fr, .cn etc.
b. Language of query the user searched- for example - in .com domain one can search for Chinese words; in this case adwords may serve him ads targeted to Chinese language even if his Google interface language was English (.com).

Display Network-

Adwords detects the language from either pages that the person had viewed in the past, or the page that she is currently viewing.

Hope I covered the whole thing about language targeting Smiley Happy

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear @jackportersmith and @Rohit K,

Thanks for your quick answers.

@jackportersmith,
Your answer is for search only. I'd like to find out what will happen in Mobile Display Campaigns (in-app ads).

@Rohit K,
If I understand what you said, in Mobile Display Campaigns (in-app ads) the system detects the language from the user's app (equivalent to pages in desktop)?
If so, what will be the language for a Russian user that uses his favorite Russian app in US?

Thanks!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Q: What will be the language for a Russian user that uses his favorite Russian app in US?
A: Language of app interface- i.e. Russian.

Location of user does not matter here.

Thanks
Rohit.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Are you sure?
If so, why usually when I set up a campaign for US AdWords recommends me to choose EN and ES as a language in most of the apps?
According to what you're saying, the language I supposed to choose is only the app interface language. Am I right?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Daveos,
you don't have to think too much about this, Its so simple. In US most of the people speaks English so of course Google will suggest you to select English.
But you have decide about your targeted audience & and your app language.

Suppose your app interface language is Chinese, then you would definitely target Chinese people only.

Rohit

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rohit,

Thanks.
It really important to me to get an official answer even it's a small issue (and I know that).

When it's something that you do every day it can make you crazy to don't know what you're doing.

As for your answer, what would be your target language when you advertise an app with English interface on wold wide campaign?

Have a great day!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daveos
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear @Rohit and @jackportersmith,

I've just got an official answer from Google:
"for mobile app installs campaigns, the system checks the user's language settings for his device, not the language of the app. This means that if you target only to Italian speakers for instance, someone who has his phone set in English won't see your ad, regardless of the language of the app. "

Thanks for you help.